Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent Kuykendall

Does the stock 06 auto trans on a 3500 need to be modified to use an exhaust brake?

Kent Kuykendall , Aug 30, 2006
  2. BHolm

It is already set up to operate with the Jacobs exhuast brake from the dealer. I have it on mine and like it quite a bit, very handy,and effective.

I suspect some of the other aftermarket brakes offer more braking power. I'm not sure if/how they would integrate with the factory computer. On the '06 the ECM controls TC lock-up with the brake on and will do a 4-3 downshift with the brake on, automatically.

BHolm , Aug 30, 2006
  3. machinemover

I'm using a PACBRAKE with a 6 speed, say this much, 4th truck, 1st exhaust brake, I'll never be without one again, there THAT good.

machinemover , Aug 30, 2006
  4. 24VChev

I am installing a BD exhuast brake on my new 06. I have the instruction on how to hook up a BD brake using the Dodge (cummins) ECM to control the brake. You only need to hook up two wires to the ecm to install the brake. There are other wires assosiated with the brake such as power and ground but it looks simple to do . I will let you know how it works out.

Malcolm

24VChev , Aug 30, 2006
  5. kbond

How about an exhaust brake behind the downpipe??

I once saw a 2nd gen with an exhaust brake behind the downpipe. Was a real slick install but i can't remember all the details. Anyone know of how this could be done? I particularly like this idea so I am not limited on turbo swaps or going to a compound setup.

thanks to all.

kbond , Aug 31, 2006
  6. Kent Kuykendall

Thanks for the info so quick, I was asking for my brother who just got a new truck. Sounds like I need to get one for my 98.

Kent Kuykendall , Aug 31, 2006
  7. BHolm

The exhaust brake can be fitted anywhere in the exhaust pipe really. The install you saw was done for exactly the reasons you stated, being able to easily change turbo set-ups. The brakes use either a vaccum pump or compressor and the only line you have to run to the actual brake is the hose for the pump. You could weld or clamp in the brake where ever you like. Mount the comporessor or vac pump, wire it up and you are good to go. Check with the manufacturers for application. I am sure they can help.

BHolm , Aug 31, 2006
  8. kbond

Great insight. Thanks for the help. I think this is way I would like to go for sure.

kbond , Aug 31, 2006
  9. Kent Kuykendall

Will the truck warrentee be voided if you use anything but a Jacobs Brake.

10. BHolm

I don't know about that. They are getting tight when it comes to power adders but they would have a hard time proving an aftermarket brake caused damage when they offer one over the counter. That would be almost like voiding your warranty for not using Mopar filters or fluids. I would be much more concerned about the edge box you were talking about ;)

Others, mostly with manual transmissions, have been running them for years. I haven't heard of any warranties being denied over it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
    BHolm , Aug 31, 2006
  11. Kent Kuykendall

I was thinking of the 06 auto warrentee. My 98 has about 225K on it.

12. HenryH

I need some help finding a dealership or a good mechanic to install a Jacobs exhuast brake on my 06. None of the dealers in my area have ever installed one and some don't know what I'm talking about. I have an 03 that is great, but with the new fuel coming up next year and engins to match I thought it a good idea to get an 06 brfore everything changes. Thank you for any help you can give me.

HenryH , Aug 31, 2006
  13. klenger

It's not a bad DIY project if you are handy with tools. "You can do it, we can help".

klenger , Aug 31, 2006
  14. HenryH

Thanks, I wish you lived closer. I am handy with wood working tools but not with mechanic's tools. I better find someone else that knows what they are doing or see a step by step picture of the procedure.

Henry

HenryH , Aug 31, 2006
  15. ScottLewis

I had the dealer install mine. Cost was way more than it should have been. The installation manual is pretty comprehensive and the project is do-able DYI. Look up the Jacobs Brake site and download the manuals to study up, then decide if you want to tackle it.

As Klenger says, "We can help".

You WILL love the Jake with the '06 auto.

Dan

ScottLewis , Aug 31, 2006
  16. steamboatinn

If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose the Mopar jake brake instead of a Pac brake? Bruce

steamboatinn , Oct 2, 2006
  17. FLynes

When the family and I were on our way home from Arizona, we stopped in TX for an oil change. I believe the dealership was called Randolph Dodge. I know it was a 5-star dealership. I asked the service manager if Dodge was figuring out a way to fit the exhaust brakes on the 05's. He told me that, while the Jacobs will not work on the 05, the Pac Brake will. He said that they have been installing them on 03, 04 and 05 auto's with no ill results. Apparently Pac Brake includes a control, which locks up the TC, whereas Jacobs doesn't. Anyone try this setup yet? I'd love to do it, but that 7yr/100,000mile warranty is still in effect.

FLynes , Oct 2, 2006
  18. ScottLewis

"Steamboatinn". I had 'em put the brake and running boards on when I picked up the new truck. The Jake is what Dodge recommends and is a virtually perfect match for the '06 48RE. It works seamlessly and is covered under my warranty. Seems like reason enough.

Dan

ScottLewis , Oct 2, 2006
  19. nunya

Just came back from a 5300 mi. tow trip thru the Rockies and Smokies and back and that Jake with the auto is the way to go!

nunya , Oct 2, 2006
  20. HenryH

I had no choice since dodge 06 only installed the jake brake. I checked around and it seems that dodge is the only one that has the solf ware for their transmission. I had the dealer furnish and install it for something less than $1600. I haven't tried it out yet. I'm in hopes it will do the job.

HenryH

HenryH , Oct 2, 2006