Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSalzer

I want to install the Jacobs exhaust brake but don't care for the look of the switch that clamps onto the shifter. I have also read on here about guys having trouble with the switch coming loose and giving them problems. Other than wiring in a dash mounted switch, has anyone out there used some type of shift knob mounted switch. I know hurst has a ball (I think it's call the sidewinder) with a switch in the 10 o'clock postion that I am considering. What I would really like to do is get a knob like the big rigs have for the 2 speed rear ends with the switch built in to the front of the knob. If anyone has done this, what brand have you used, where did you get it from and what size (threads) do I need? Please post pics if available.

SSalzer , Oct 20, 2006
  2. Prairie Dog

Geno's has a shift mounted knob and switch but it's not weighted like the stocker and it causes lots of rattling sounds. I bought one and ended up sending it back because of the noise. You may want to check out the PacBrake switch. It also clamps to the shifter but it's a nice looking part that holds up well.

Scotty

Prairie Dog , Oct 20, 2006
  3. klenger

The Jacobs brake comes with the switch as part of the kit. I've had no problems at all with mine. I'd recommend installing the Jacobs switch first, and see if it works for you. If not, then switch it out (no pun intended).

klenger , Oct 20, 2006
  4. staarma

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    staarma , Oct 20, 2006
  5. JLibert

another vote for the pac brake switch. I wanted the push pull at first, but I'm glad I ended up with the pac brake switch. Very little effort to turn on and off, and no rattles or noises.

JLibert , Oct 20, 2006
  6. brista

The pac brake switch is much nicer looking. I've had no issues to date with the Jacobs switch. Do they have the same number of wires?

brista , Oct 20, 2006
  7. RankRam

There's only two wires with the Pac-Brake, if I recall the Jacobs has three?

RankRam , Oct 20, 2006
  8. Bob V

I made a few kits up that use an Eaton/Fuller shift knob. it is a bit of work to get the valves to operate the electric switch but it can be done. The threads on the knob are metric, M10X1. 5. Here is on I did for my '97

Bob V , Oct 20, 2006
  9. Bob V

Here is a knob and valve that I built for my '05. The lower part is a push/pull valve that I set up to control the exhaust brake

Bob V , Oct 20, 2006
  10. brista

I think three is correct.

brista , Oct 20, 2006
  11. 2-ND TIME

What I did with mine ( not that it is working right now again) was to use a 3/4" strain relief connector. ( these are used for cab tire of different sizes for water proof connections) It clamps on to the gear shifter and the 3/4" connects to the S/S sheet with 6 holes in mine with one switch in it for the exhaust brake right at my finger tips. It is wonderful when it works. The electrical / vacuum I think isn't working again. Can help further if you like the idea???

2-ND TIME , Oct 20, 2006