PDA

View Full Version : Kelderman Air Suspension

DaveNelson
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi, Is anybody using the Kelderman suspension on their trucks? Have an 08 5500 with a 12' flat bed, 33' gooseneck. Rides rough when empty. Appreciate your input.

JMetzger
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I put a Kelderman on my 92 3/4 ton & never had any problems with it & the truck rode a whole lot better. Unit was fairly easy to install & I added a air compressor so I could add or decrease the air pressure. Good units.

DaveNelson
03-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Leaning toward Link Mfg, anybody had experience with their product?

navyjoe
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I have an 06 3500 2WD dually. Its pretty harsh. All they offer on my model is that rear airbag at the leaf spring mount. Is that worth the money? does it really help the ride much?

HBarlow
03-19-2010, 07:17 PM
The reason the dually trucks ride a little rough when unloaded is the springs are stiff enough to carry the full rated load and they don't flex much unloaded.

Adding air bags can do nothing to soften the OEM leaf springs, only add more suspension or more load carrying capacity which will make the ride even stiffer unless the air bag pressure is bled off when unloaded.

Big trucks use air suspension in lieu of leaf springs.

kenny61
03-19-2010, 11:05 PM
2WD & 4WD 2-Bag Rear KLM15629 - Dodge / Sterling 3500 HD Chassis Cab (2007 & newer) Dodge / Sterling / International / Freightliner - Kelderman Air Ride Suspension Technology (http://www. keldermanairride. com/medium-duty/4-link/info. php?product=3500DDGHD2BAG)

FFeiller
03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
hbarlow is right according to the mfgrs. unless the springs are eliminated and just air bags are used they will do nothing to improve your ride. i have a 5500 and contacted firestone and a couple of others last year and that is what i was told by all of them

kenny61
03-20-2010, 12:15 AM
The kelderman is not a conventional air bag system

HBarlow
03-20-2010, 04:12 AM
The kelderman is not a conventional air bag system

The question in post #5 I answered was not about Kelderman, it was about adding air bags to conventional leaf springs.

kenny61
03-20-2010, 04:48 AM
I was responding to post #8. As it appeared the poster may not be aware that kelderman systems were not just a set of regular add on air bags. And included a picture so that he may see how they mount on the truck and why they might offer a better ride than conventional air bags.

KIKER
03-20-2010, 11:09 AM
In the Kelderman description from the above link, they state that their system makes the rear suspension 2 stage. Their air bag softens the ride when unloaded and then uses the factory suspension when loaded, and to full capacity. If I were running CC, I would certainly look into this system.

navyjoe
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately this is for a 2007 model. As I understand it my 06, 2wd can only be fitted with the 2 bag system that connects at the rear mount of the existing spring shackles. Kelderman claims that this mod softens the ride considerbly. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done this on a 2WD like mine and found that it does really soften the ride and its was worthe the $2k investment.

2WD & 4WD 2-Bag Rear KLM15629 - Dodge / Sterling 3500 HD Chassis Cab (2007 & newer) Dodge / Sterling / International / Freightliner - Kelderman Air Ride Suspension Technology (http://www. keldermanairride. com/medium-duty/4-link/info. php?product=3500DDGHD2BAG)

kenny61
03-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately this is for a 2007 model. As I understand it my 06, 2wd can only be fitted with the 2 bag system that connects at the rear mount of the existing spring shackles. Kelderman claims that this mod softens the ride considerbly. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done this on a 2WD like mine and found that it does really soften the ride and its was worthe the $2k investment.

They are both the "2 link " system vs the 4 link that eliminates the leaves completely. I have considered the system over the years for myself which is why I am slightly familiar with it. I understood what you were asking and posted the information because it appeared some people were confusing it with a conventional system. Have you contacted Kelderman? Perhaps they can put you in touch with someone in your area who has had the modification done.

2500 / 3500 2-Bag Rear (long & short box) KLM10940 - 2003 - 2009 Dodge - Kelderman Air Ride Suspension Technology (http://www. keldermanairride. com/standard/truck/info. php?product=03DDGREAR)

navyjoe
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Thats a good idea. It would be nice to get input from a user. Thanks.

Newt
03-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I've been wondering if removing the large flat springs on the bottom of the spring pack and the upper overloads and using air bags would improve the empty ride enough to be worth it?

Newt

GOTSOOT
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
done the mods you are talking about NEWT,and "NO" it does not help. this is on a 2 whl dr. 3500

mickeyblueyes
03-28-2010, 09:29 AM
The question in post #5 I answered was not about Kelderman, it was about adding air bags to conventional leaf springs.

All they offer on my model is that rear airbag at the leaf spring mount. Is that worth the money? does it really help the ride much?

He was referring to Keldermans air bag system not ride rite or Firestone.

mickeyblueyes
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
A bunch of folks over at Escapees forum have these, lurk around and ask a question

Ragain
04-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Go to linkmfg. com if you want heavy duty, true air ride suspension. They have an application specific for Ram 4500/5500.

tempforce
04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
o. k. i have the kelderman rear air ride system on my 08 mega 3500 2x4 with single rear tires.

it improved the ride considerably.

but if i had to do it again.

i would install the 'airbagit' rear air ride with a four link system.

as it would maintain ride height better when loaded. they use larger bags and delete the leaf springs.

DaveNelson
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
We went with Link Mfg. The truck, 5500 CC 4X4 with 12' flat bed, should be done today. Will keep you posted.

Ragain
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
DaveNelson, let us know how it works out. I've been wanting the Link Mfg system since my 5500 was new and am curious about the ride while bobtailing and also while pulling a loaded trailer. Also what total installed price ended up being.

JGilbert
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
We went with Link Mfg. The truck, 5500 CC 4X4 with 12' flat bed, should be done today. Will keep you posted.

Dave,

You have my truck except I have a CM hauler bed instead of a flat bed. I'm interested in this upgrade also. Who did you get to do the install? Ballpark price?

Joe

CUMMINZ
05-16-2010, 06:06 AM
The reason the dually trucks ride a little rough when unloaded is the springs are stiff enough to carry the full rated load and they don't flex much unloaded.

Adding air bags can do nothing to soften the OEM leaf springs, only add more suspension or more load carrying capacity which will make the ride even stiffer unless the air bag pressure is bled off when unloaded. .

Harvey, this may be true for the Chassis cab but not true for the pickup with different OEM springs.

I am not usually not in favor of adding air bags especially to a vehicle carrying an overcab camper. I have added 2 full length leafs to my old 04. 5 and this truck did real well.

I just added Firestone air bags to my QC dually. I just got back off a 2 week 1000 mile trip to GA. towing my DayDreamer with gross of 26,660#s. I aired the bags to 50#s. Normally my springs are down flat on the lower overload and also on the top overloads. You can not believe the difference my ride was. The bags supported enough load to get me off both sets of overloads. It also removed the roughness of the 19. 5" tires. On the return trip I ran the bags at 30#s and still got the same ride as with 50#s. The truck's ride while mty was still better with 50#s. They have taken the edge off the 19. 5 ride. I am real pleased.

tempforce
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
the kelderman doesn't make any changes to the oem springs or to load capacity. they just extent the length of the spring through the link system and softening the ride through the use of the air bags behind the springs. i do have a small amount of side to side movement due to the link system using the spring hanger system. thus allowing a bit of sideways flex. a improvement would be adding a link or stabilizer bar to stop the sideways movement.
so next time i will be going to a true air bag suspension. from one of the suppliers of a four link bag system. maybe after a couple hundred thousand miles, when i install a true limited slip rear end.

Whiteranch04
05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a Kelderman front and rear set up on my 2001 3500 4x4, it changed the truck to where hands fought to take it on hauls instead of the 2007 or 98 duallys I have. Buy the air compressor with it, its really the cat meowowwow when its tuned correctly to the load and road conditions, it should have been a factory option. But I would look at the 4 link types thers have suggested as it might be even better than than the Kelderman system nowdays.

I love it and never regret installing it, everybody who has driven it has noticed its smooth ride with the 6 way adjustable Fox shocks and the lower adjustable control arms its a dream to align and drive!!

Wiredawg
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
the 5500 springs add about 3K lbs more capacity and must be the reason rough ride empty. My 4500 rides a little stiffer than my 3500 w/ ranchos set on 7 front and three rear. I don't have the HD springs front, and I am 11. 2K lbs empty. Tow body, tool boxes/aux fuel tank and Browns Welding brush/grill guard and steps load it pretty nice. Towing is premium. I love the whole setup. Dodge figured it out w/ the C&Cs bigtime.

Cheers,

Wiredawg

drblkjck
04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I had Kelderman Four-Link suspension w/Air bags installed all around on my 06 Ram 3500 5.9, LB, DRW. All steel springs were discarded, plus I have a track-bar & a good sway bar at the rear. System also includes Rancho 9,000 Adjustable shocks all around. This system is awesome & will always be the 1st upgrade on any new truck of mine. Unit now rides like a Cadillac. It has carried our 5,500Lb Lance 1181 TC 28,000 miles without a spec of trouble. Travels include a 3Mo trip to Alaska, 1.5Mo to Nova Scotia, plus several trips out West, North-West, East & South-East. Only a slight adjustment on front shocks was required was as we traversed the "Destruction Highway" in Alaska just north of Hanes, which has a lot of "Frost Heaves". Also, can never say enough about the Kelderman family. They are a class act & stand behind everything they do. If you want to turn your log wagon ride into a cadillac, Kelderman is the best. Donald

drblkjck
04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
drblkjck here again
Forgot to add above that my 06 Ram is a 4X4
Donald