Should i cover up my radiator?

It is going to drop down 15 below zero on Christmas out here in Ohio. Luckily I keep the truck in a garage.

Gary
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4 camper special, Happi Jac camper ties downs, Back Country step bars. Third Generation Track Bar with Darin's track bar bracket. DSS, ATS Exhaust manifold, Banks High Ram Intake. RV injectors, fuel, pyro and boost gauges. Stock auto transmission.

I assume you're referring to covering it when its being driven to keep the heat up

The slickest, cheapest radiator cover I'm aware of (and have used every winter since I've owned the truck), is a piece of cardboard cut to fit between the intercooler and the radiator. It drops in from above. Cut about an 8" or 9" hole slightly off center in the middle so the fan clutch gets air. This allows cool air to pass through the intercooler but blocks much of the radiator. It lets the engine get warmer faster and helps keep it at proper temperature. Just be aware if the temps get in the 40s or 50s and you get flyin' down the freeway, up a long hill, or tow something, you may have to pull it out.

-Jay
    '98 2500 12V 5spd 4X4 QC LB. Custom plate, DDP4's, timing: 18.5*, compound spinners, PDR cam, PDR ported head, 3K GSK, SB DD, etc.

Actually it is a good idea to cover the intercooler also otherwise the intake temps can get too cool. I wouldn't recommend a piece of cardboard directly in front of the IC but a set of grill covers will work nicely.

Guys, see my Winter guards in the member basement Classified area. Make sets for the 2nd and 3rd gen Reg and Sport.

Lets air in up to 60 deg but warms up faster so there is no overheat.
    New 2009 SXT 3500 LB. Bright Silver..Stock for now. Rhino Liner, Ricksons 19.5" rims andToyo 225/70R-19.5" tires.. "G" Rated,. 14 ply.. Stock 17" tires in winter ..Self Made Winter fronts... Truck name is Silver Bullet!

It was -22 yesterday morning here in Northern Montana and I finally put my cover guard on my grille. My truck is also garaged and plugged into a timer so it will be warm when I go out. I bought a stainless steel 4 piece cover that fits nice and looks good.

Today it is 35 as I type this?? Oh well. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Mike
    Blue/Silver 04.5 3500, 4x4, 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, Prodigy Controller, Jacobs Brake, 4 Door, Long Box w/Super Liner, Front & Rear Nerf Bars, Chrome Door Handles, Heavy Duty Chrome Grille Guard, Purdied up!
    Frequently pull triple: 30 ft. 5th. Wheel Trailer and 18.5 boat or Utility Trailer with 750 MC or 500 Suzuki Quad

Cover it up, but not completly, need to leave a little air to the charge air cooler.

The grill is blocked off and I put a peice of cardboard between the IC and radiator. Works good. I remove the cardboard when I tow. Works good, just watch the temp gauge.
    Tyler
    DC-SIXer Fixer
    01 2500 HO "Arctic Series"
    NRA Member

I run with the grill blocked and remove the fan. I guess it just depends on how cold it get where you are located.

I run the lund grill covers myself and have been really happy with them. The 2 ports in the bumper make the biggest difference. I usually run the bumper covers and two of the grill covers. just my $. 02
    Regards,

Nathan <><

"God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply" --Hudson Taylor

i got eric bu's winterfronts on my rig. i had a set of his fronts on my last 4 rigs btw. look great and work great. helps warm up and lets enuff air in for the innercoolr

definately good idea to have something when its cold
    97 DRW CLUBCAB FLATBED. 385 RWHP/837 RWTQ
    98 12V QUAD CAB 4WD.
    03 QUAD CAB 4WD

previously owned 19 DODGE CUMMINS trucks.

FOR IDAHO TDR CHAPTER EVENTS CHECK NORTHWEST EVENTS AT TDR AND WWW.IDAHOTURBODIESELS.COM