Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bed-side mount auxillary fuel tank?

I have a short bed and would rather not give up the bed length for extra fuel capacity if I do not have to. Has anyone ever seen a tank that mounts over the fenderwell and uses the space in front of, or behind the fender?

Having extra range would allow a little more flexibility in filling up. At $3. 00 plus a gallon, every little bit helps.
    Equus Caballas Ferreous
    "You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
    04 HO 4X4 QuadCab, 6spd, 3.73's, Laramie shortbed, Linex, Pioneer 860 w/XM radio, Di-Pricol boost and EGT on steering column, FP on the A pillar. AFE Proguard 7, Big Giant Donaldson Muffler. 295 Nittos. Bilsteins, Fass95, PS62/12

I've seen these years ago for Chevy's. . . . . have not seen a set in any of the late model trucks. . . . nor have I seen them on any of the web sights. . . .

I have a BIL with a short bed who has a custom tank that is about 6" across the bed and down the sides of the bed to the top of the wheel wells, and it holds something like 80 gals. . . . . but it was custom made for him. . . . . 350 or so dollars. . .
    Jim

Retired Roaming America, 05 3500 4x4 Dually Molten Red stick, 125K miles, PacBrake Exhaust Brakes, 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 05 Honda Rincon 650 ATV, 2001 Honda Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by RTillery View Post
    I have a short bed and would rather not give up the bed length for extra fuel capacity if I do not have to. Has anyone ever seen a tank that mounts over the fenderwell and uses the space in front of, or behind the fender?

Having extra range would allow a little more flexibility in filling up. At $3. 00 plus a gallon, every little bit helps.
    I think the under fender tanks were outlawed because they were outside the frame rails. bg
    2006 3500 Silver Sport, DRW.

I am not talking about under the fender. I am looking for a tank that mounts in the bed, under the rail cap and over the fenderwell. There is a lot of space that is not as useful in front of, behind, and above the fender. Basically a tank that runs down the inside of the bed, instead of the common front of the bed mount.
    Last edited by RTillery; 05-23-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    Equus Caballas Ferreous
    "You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
    04 HO 4X4 QuadCab, 6spd, 3.73's, Laramie shortbed, Linex, Pioneer 860 w/XM radio, Di-Pricol boost and EGT on steering column, FP on the A pillar. AFE Proguard 7, Big Giant Donaldson Muffler. 295 Nittos. Bilsteins, Fass95, PS62/12

Transfer Flow inc. has some good looking replacement fuel tanks for your truck, you can pretty much double your fuel capacity with one of these direct replacement tanks.

If you still want one in your bed a good welding shop should be able to build you one to fit your exact specifications. I know theres a guy here that keeps busy building custom fuel tanks and toolboxes. I would see if you can get one built out of aluminum. I would look good in the box and you dont have rust issues to worry about.

Ps. The only thing to note about having one custom built is that you take a risk of getting a fine if its not DOT certified. I've never heard of anyone being fined because of it, but I know there is a law about it.
    '04 Quad cab, fender flares, 20" Eagle wheels, BFG All Terrains, Banks Six Gun, SMARTY, NADP Full Billet 48RE, AEM Intake, AutoMeter Gauges, DSS, KORE Steering Damper.
    '07 5.9 Quad cab, 6" Lift 37" Tires, 18" MKW Wheels, SmartyJR, TS ShiftMaster, Muffler Delete, AFE Intake, AutoMeter Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by liberty View Post
    Transfer Flow inc. has some good looking replacement fuel tanks for your truck, you can pretty much double your fuel capacity with one of these direct replacement tanks.

Not available for shortbeds.

A wheel well tank is a pretty good idea, although you have to give up one of the tie-down cleats (which I use a lot).

Ryan
    2003 3500 QC SRW SWB 4X4 3.73 HO/NV5600. Built 2/28/03.
    Isspro boost, oil press., oil temp, post-turbo EGT, Wet Okole seat covers, Line-X, Integral OBD-II, Fastcoolers, DSG Idler, Custom Fuel System
    @80188 mi/ 2302hr, 19.1 mpg

I'm working on a tank replacement with an aux where the spare goes underneath. I'm moving the spare either into the shell on a vertical mount, or changing out the rear bumper with a swing away like my CJ7. It looks like 80-85 gallons when I'm done.
    04.5 2500 Laramie SB QC 4x4, 48RE w/ 3.73, KORE & 315's, caravan shell w/ line-x
    59 W300M
    backup-83 cj-7

Quote Originally Posted by sarj View Post
    I'm working on a tank replacement with an aux where the spare goes underneath.
    I also run without the spare in the stock location, providing an enormous volume of empty space. A fuel tank back there is a great idea.

Some day I'd like to use the space for compressed air tanks.

Ryan
    Isspro boost, oil press., oil temp, post-turbo EGT, Wet Okole seat covers, Line-X, Integral OBD-II, Fastcoolers, DSG Idler, Custom Fuel System

I have my spares (2) already mounted in the back of the bed. . . I'm looking at the former spare space for a rear mounted winch and some air tanks. . . working on the bumper design right now!
    Mickey Miller

'03, HO, 4X4, 6-speed, 3.73(LS), Quad SB, Vent Kit, BFG AT 315/70 X 17 on H2 rims, PC diff guards, Kodiac retractable steps, Cobra CB, Bilstein Shocks, Grill Guard, Fuel Skid Plate, ISSPRO Boost and EGT, Garmin GPS, Dynatrac hubs, 2mu filter & 392pump, DSS steering brace, Smarty Jr

10. Bed side tanks

A firm called tour bubby makes the tanks you are looking for you can buy one to four tanks fore & aft wheel wells each side. Iwill try to find the website

11. The website is Tour Buddy

12. Bed side tanks

The website is Tour Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMiller View Post
    I have my spares (2) already mounted in the back of the bed

How are they mounted? Mine is simply laying in the bottom of the bed.

Ryan

14. side bed tanks

the tour buddy tanks are mounted just like those storage bins to the rail of the bed

2004.5 3/4T 4x4, Auto, QC, SB, SLT-- Mods: Sirius, Costco floormats, Fuel tank vent kit, In-tank pump conversion, Isspro/EGT/FP/Boost/Tranny, Mag-hytec tranny & diff, Mopar Mud Guards, Bilsteins, Nitto Dura Grappler 285/70-17, Smarty Jr., wife, kids and a dumb cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast