Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exhaust brake quit working

Hi,new to the forum,I have a 2007 5.9,exhaust brake was working just fine while going on vacation,all of a sudden quit,it is a factory cummins,it was installed by the dealer when truck was brand new,6 speed trans,the light comes on but no results,I took it today to a dealer here in Va,he said the vacuum pump is only making about 5 lbs,he said it should be 35lbs,is that correct,if so would that make it quit working,anything else I should look at,they told me parts are no longer available,can the pump be rebuilt,I do see there are some on ebay,please feel free to e-mail me,Thanks, Rick

Go to Geno's Garage, a sponsor here on TDR, they have the both pumps and replacement diaphragms doe the Jacob's exhaust brake.
    2006 Quad Cab, Short Bed, SLT, 4x4, 6 Speed, Thunder Road, Line-X, Extang Tonneau, N-Fab cab length step bars, Pacbrake, Ram Mount Laptop mount, Banks Ottomind6 w/PDA, Trail Ready bumpers
    2000 John Deere 790. loader, box blade, grader blade, rake
    2011 John Deere 855d Gator

Quote Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
    go to geno's garage, a sponsor here on tdr, they have the both pumps and replacement diaphragms doe the jacob's exhaust brake.
    ^^^this^^^
    2004.5 2500 Dually Conversion, 4x4, 6spd, Quad Cab, Southbend, PSM AirBox Mod, AFE ProGuard, CFM+ intake, CoolBlue, CAT in-place, IISPro Gauges, BD Exhaust Brake, PacBrake AirBags, Heater Treater, Lukes Links, 09 steering linkage/pitman arm, BD steering brace, Amsoil, FASS Titanium.

Welcome to the forum.
    Just to clarify, the exhaust brake you have was installed by a dealer (probably) but is definitely not "factory". Also, it's a "vacuum" pump so it doesn't make pressure at all.

Good luck,
    Scott
    2003 Quad, 3500 SRW LB, 4WD, 6SPD, 305 H.O., 3:73 LSD. Smarty Jr., Westach Boost/pyro combo gage on pillar, SBC-ConOFE, FASS 95 Pump. PAC Brake. 1 piece DC driveshaft, GDP2u, 285/75-17 Toyo AT's, Centramatic Balancers, 6.7 HO HB, Finned AAM axle cover.
    TT = '04 25RKS Wildcat.

Kind of hard to imagine a dealer service dep't who concluded the Vac pump was bad but didn't try to sell you a replacement. Generally speaking, the pumps aren't repaired but just replaced when they go bad, which does happen often. The pumps sold by Geno's are quite a bit cheaper than the dealer or from Jacobs company. A search on this forum will net you several options for replacement, including buying from Cummins.
    Dan Avilla:
    '06 Laramie 4X4 loaded but stock, PacBrake, AMP running boards, Isspro Gauges, BD Cooldown, RideRites, SuperGlide hitch

Hi, your right,not factory but dealer installed,never thought about vacuum pump not produceing pressure,dah,will the switch still light up even if pump isn't working,just seems strange this thing has been working perfect then all of a sudden not,thought maybe something electrical,I check fuse its good,how do I get to Geno's garage site,Thanks, Rick

Hi, your right,not factory but dealer installed,never thought about vacuum pump not produceing pressure,dah,will the switch still light up even if pump isn't working,just seems strange this thing has been working perfect then all of a sudden not,thought maybe something electrical,I check fuse its good,how do I get to Geno's garage site,the dealership here in Williamsburg ,Va says part NLA,Thanks, Rick

Yes, the switch will light up even after the pump is gone. It's been said (mostly argued) that the pump fails when there is a leak someplace and it has to run more. I think it's enough of a contributing factor that the system should be checked very closely for leaks after a repair is made.
    2003 Quad, 3500 SRW LB, 4WD, 6SPD, 305 H.O., 3:73 LSD. Smarty Jr., Westach Boost/pyro combo gage on pillar, SBC-ConOFE, FASS 95 Pump. PAC Brake. 1 piece DC driveshaft, GDP2u, 285/75-17 Toyo AT's, Centramatic Balancers, 6.7 HO HB, Finned AAM axle cover.
    TT = '04 25RKS Wildcat.

When the diaphragm quits, it does so all at once. I think the pump itself might give signs like unusual noise, etc. but I'm not sure. When mine quit, I'm pretty sure it was the diaphragm but I just replaced the package with a PacBrake. The lamp coming on merely signals that power is being sent to the control valve relay.
    Dan Avilla:
    '06 Laramie 4X4 loaded but stock, PacBrake, AMP running boards, Isspro Gauges, BD Cooldown, RideRites, SuperGlide hitch

If it were me with the dealer installed vacuum exhaust brake, I would remove it and install the Pacbrake. When I am towing I am in 26K lbs range and was so impressed with the PACBRAKE compared to the vacuum unit, I was like a little kid with a new toy. I use mine so much that I have had to replace the air cylinder on the unit. Coming down a 6-7% grade against the PACBRAKE was the must awesome thing. I had to turn it off a few times as I was slowing down GOING DOWN hill with the weight I had. PACBRAKE imho is the BEST unit as far as an aftermarket brake is concerned. No one elses can compare.
    04 Graphite 3500 QC 6sp/GV & 3.73 Marine Valve Cover, Pac Brake, Smarty, Autometer, SRT-10 Hood, B&W, 105 Aux Tank, Blacked out Headlights, FASS, Blue & Purple airbrushed flames, Eagle Alloy Black Wheels, Debadged, 46' Gooseneck Race Trailer, NHRA D2 Tech/Chassis Inspector

Tanks for all the help,when I get back home I'm going to look into it a little more,I'm 400 miles from home right now,pulling a 30' camper,just will take it easy,I might change it over to the Pacbrake,if not and its the pump I see a couple on ebay or will see how to contack Geno's garage if I can figure out how to make contact with them

genosgarage.com
    04 Graphite 3500 QC 6sp/GV & 3.73 Marine Valve Cover, Pac Brake, Smarty, Autometer, SRT-10 Hood, B&W, 105 Aux Tank, Blacked out Headlights, FASS, Blue & Purple airbrushed flames, Eagle Alloy Black Wheels, Debadged, 46' Gooseneck Race Trailer, NHRA D2 Tech/Chassis Inspector

genosgarage.com a better solution is to go with a bd. they mount there compressor in a better location than pac. both the bd and pac have a huge increase in stopping power over the jake. as our pumps fail we replace with bd's. it will take you about two hours to install. you can reuse the switch and ecm wiring. the jake has a longer belt than stock so you will need to change the serpentine belt to stock
    0635004x4duallyqcg56,dynatrac,,bd exhaust brake,m101181 donaldson muffler,cfm+ intake,winspeed delete,taylor wings,luberfiner bypass filter,smarty jr psm cold air,cool hose,tag,air tab's,reese 20k 5th wheel,pdr cam,ddp 50 hp injectors,62-65-13-ss,ss manifold+blankets,2 micron cat filter,hid and led

you can probably just replace the diaphram on the pump and be good to go! I just did this job, got part from Genos`, fixed in less than 1 hr. I ran a new section of hose from the diaphram to the solenoid eliminating the factory plastic tubing it did run thru(its inside wire loom with the wiring) Works great again. Just sayin
    06 3500 DRW 4wd 4dr auto,Jake, Inferno Red Laramie, , Luverne stainless boards, AFE super stock w air horn,PMS mod, Turbo Lifesaver, britebox w fogzilla, B&W turnover w Companion 5th wheel, Firestone airbags, rollup tonneau, Mag-Tec double deep pan, MBRP muff, juice w Att. 2" level kit

price for the diaphragm only from genos is $159
    0635004x4duallyqcg56,dynatrac,,bd exhaust brake,m101181 donaldson muffler,cfm+ intake,winspeed delete,taylor wings,luberfiner bypass filter,smarty jr psm cold air,cool hose,tag,air tab's,reese 20k 5th wheel,pdr cam,ddp 50 hp injectors,62-65-13-ss,ss manifold+blankets,2 micron cat filter,hid and led

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast