Post Installing a Fuel restriction gauge.

Looking through the TDR, I noticed an article having a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge installed on top of the fuel filter canister. My 98. 5 has two brass pligs. I would assume one is in-coming, and the other is output. What should each of these read? If I put a gauge on the output side, can this be used to determine if my filter is dirty? What PSI should it read? and what is the cut off for changing it?

This might be a really good thing to have. A few of my friends have gotten bad fuel, to the point the truck barely ran. No-one thought about the filter at first because it was just changed. . We all thought it might be water or something. So we drained the filter. . No change. . Someone finally suggested changing the fitler, and we did. . Made all the difference in the world.

If you know the what the outlet pressure is with a clean filter you only need a gauge on the outlet side. When the pressure drops on the outlet you know you need to change the filter or the lift pump.

------------------
    95' 25004X4,AT,Driftwood,Banks Stinger,Warn fender flairs and running boards(work truck)
    95 3500,5 speed 3:54,Driftwood,Banks&Psycotty,34,000 GCVW apple and tractor hauler(works harder truck)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deezal Man:
    [B]Looking through the TDR, I noticed an article having a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge installed on top of the fuel filter canister. My 98. 5 has two brass pligs. I would assume one is in-coming, and the other is output. What should each of these read? If I put a gauge on the output side, can this be used to determine if my filter is dirty? What PSI should it read? and what is the cut off for changing it?

---Someone else may post in and give specific PSI #'s for a single-guage reading, but if you want to be thorough, 2 guages, one before and one after the filter, could be used, and the "limit" of pressure drop for a bad filter change requirement is 5psi. . (i'd probably do it at 3, but that's probably overkill)

Guess I should have looked in the manual before opening my big mouth.

Anyway the big manual states a minimuminlet pressure of 10 psi. Maximum pressure drop @ 5 psi out of the filter.

Either way, it be nice to know where things are at.