NV4500 Ok....I did it!!!!!

I'm getting ready to purchase my replacment for my Gutbag. It's a 4x4 3/4 ton. I dont tow with it much and when I do it's under 6k. I do run frequently w/ 2 snowmobiles in the back. That's only about 1. 5k to 1. 7k.

My only question is should I get the Fully splined mainshaft or not? I heard the 5th gear is pressed on alot harder now and unless your towing alot/heavy loads you shouldnt need it. It's only a price diff of about 500 bucks.

My plan is to put this tranny in my wife's truck when I convert mine to a 6 speed.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by OFitzgerald; 06-09-2004 at 08:53 AM.
    92 Green X-cab w/ 192k~ Pump turned up NV4500 Installed!!! Thanks Quad 4x4 & TDR!
    05 Jeep Liberty CRD

Lightbulb yes to fully splined

That's a very good idea if you have the extra 500 bucks to spare. If you do this, i understand that it will be the last time you will be in there. My 99 was in real good shape, so I tossed the split nut and ordered a early full nut and red locktited and staked it 6 times around the shaft. Some say that it will eventually work loose, but I think that depends on how much you tow in 5th. 500 bucks is alot of money, but is also peace of mind. The 6 speeds have problems too, however they are a huge gearbox and just have to be better. Just my 2 cents. Tim
    03 Laramie 3500 srw 4x4 long box HO 6 speed w/373 gears.Banks 4" monster ehaust, pac-brake, guages.
    97 laramie 2500 ext cab srw 2whd long bed 5 speed, 373 gears,#8 bd fuel plate,bd exhaust brake, guages cipa mirrors ,maghitek diff cover
    96 passat tdi 47 mpg sedan
    kubota tractors all diesels

Ok I did it. . . . . . .

All done now but the crying. . . I Hope I'm as happy with it as I have been with the truck. Tis alot of $$ to spend but I couldnt find anybody who would rebuild the getrag for a decent price but a friend and he cant get to it for another 2-3 months.

I missed my truck as the wifes is no fun to drive. . . . . stock sucks!!
    92 Green X-cab w/ 192k~ Pump turned up NV4500 Installed!!! Thanks Quad 4x4 & TDR!
    05 Jeep Liberty CRD

Where did you buy your trans? Did you get a kit or did you put something together yourself. Mine is making a little noise, and when it is time to pull it, I want to put in a 4500. Let me know how it goes when you get it installed.
    03 4x4 6spd smarty
    01 QC SB 4x4 Adrenaline among other things
    08 F-350 4x4 w/Cummins

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." RR

2 biggest reasons for not rebuilding my Getrag were. . .

My wife's truck started poppin outa 3rd gear and the cost. I needed my truck so I could rebuild her truck.

I orderd the kit from quad4x4 and a new 350 hp South Bend clutch. I should be getting the video in a day or 2. I'll let you know how it goes from there.
    05 Jeep Liberty CRD

When I get one, it'll have the fully splined shaft and a 1 3/8 input shaft. . .

My theory is: do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.

I say that becuase once I start taking things apart more than once, I start breaking things!