1. RACE427

The question came up in my shop class the other day by one of my students. He wanted to know if anyone manufactured a coolant filter kit for Dodge pickups equipped with the CTD. Does anyone know if such a kit is available by Fleetguard, Wix, Donaldson ?

Surely someone is running one on their Dodge?

Thanks !

RACE427 , Feb 20, 2006
  2. NIsaacs TDR MEMBER

I would think a universal kit could be made to fit, however it is not necessary on the 5. 9.

"NICK"

NIsaacs , Feb 22, 2006
  3. RACE427

Sand and sediment

This might be true but it would do absolutely no harm to add one to the ISB. These are sand cast engines so there is always some casting sand, silica and sediment that dis-solves, seeps out of the cast iron and contaminates the cooling system and water pump. All over the road, stationary diesels have them installed so, why not the little ISB ?

Surely, someone has tried this or knows of where a kit can be purchased. This is a shop class project so we will give it a go. Thanks for your input.

RACE427 , Feb 22, 2006
  4. Hohn

All of them have one?

I'm just guessing here, but most larger diesels are sleeved, not parent-bored like our 5. 9 is. I'm told that coolant issues are a much more significant with a sleeved engine. It stands to reason, I suppose.

Hohn , Feb 23, 2006
  5. RACE427

Water pump life

If you can filter out all of the sand, silica, sediment and impurities from your cooling system just think how long a water pump could last. People spend thousands of dollars to make more power but they will not spend a little bit of money to help the longevity of the engine and it's components. Go figure.

RACE427 , Feb 23, 2006
  6. HoleshotHolset

Water pumps are cheap ($50) and easy to replace on our engines... :D

Matt

HoleshotHolset , Feb 23, 2006
  7. RustyJC

..... and how frequently do water pumps fail on the B-series Cummins?

Rusty

RustyJC , Feb 23, 2006
  8. RACE427

Shop class project

Guess I did not fully explain myself. This cooling system filter is for a shop class project truck. I use this install to teach kids how to install cooling system filter kits. As I posted before, cannot hurt the engine.

RACE427 , Feb 23, 2006
  9. RustyJC

Nope, it won't hurt the engine. What the other posters are saying is that, for the B-series Cummins, it solves a problem that really doesn't exist.

Rusty

RustyJC , Feb 23, 2006
  10. WyattEarp

Race427 a coolant filter kit can be purchased, the one i have is waiting to be put on a Multifuel military engine when installed, the kit is a Napa the filter housing has to be purchased and is #4019 and the filter itself is Napa Gold #4070, the filter housing comes with your elbows and mounting hardware for around 50$, it also has directions for hooking up the filter setup. I think that is what you were asking for, i am planning on putting one on each of the dodges, no matter if they need them or not, will definetly help with scale build up in the radiator.

These are universal there is really no one specific to fit either ford, dodge, chevy etc...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
    WyattEarp , Feb 23, 2006
  11. bgilbert

It's not an issue with the B series. Put your time, money and effort into something else more meaningful. Teach em how to build twin turbos and such:D.

bgilbert , Feb 24, 2006
  12. HEMI®Dart TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
    HEMI®Dart , Feb 24, 2006
  13. NIsaacs TDR MEMBER

The main reason for coolant filters, is the treatment/chemical that is in them for electrolysis prevention, an inherent problem with sleeved engines. However, like you say, it can't hurt and very well might help clean up water contamination.

"NICK"

NIsaacs , Feb 24, 2006
  14. tpicard

It can hurt! Most coolant filters contain an additive to condition the coolant which is fine if you are running conventional coolant as long as you do not over supplement this can cause blockage. If you are using extended life coolant (which is what most new diesel engines are shipped with) the additive in the filters is not compatable with ELC. Cat's ELC requires an extender additve every 2000hrs I believe and then is good to 6000 hrs. I have not seen coolant filters on highway trucks or off road diesels for quite a few years. Using a coolant filter with the standard additive in an ELC system will dilute it over time and once its over 10% the benifit of ELC is gone and it needs to be treated as conventional coolant. If you wish to maintain your conventional cooling system get a test kit from NAPA or the like and add suppliment as needed. JMHO

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
    tpicard , Feb 24, 2006