Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FASS pressure regulator

I just installed my new VP, and want to lower my FASS 150's fuel press from the 22psi its at right now. The new spring is on its way but I can't seem to remember which plug the spring is under on my FASS. I searched the forums and can't find the answer. Thanks for the help.
    02' 2500 SLT Laramie HO,4x4, LWB, Quad-Cab, Isspro Pyro, Boost, and FP, BHAF, Edge Comp, II VP 44, 275 RV's, FASS 150, Line-X, Pop-Up Hitch, Dayton Timberlines laying in on the ground

The spring is under the return port which is "t'ed" into the filler neck
    98.5 24V converted to 215 12er , AFE Intake, Fass system, Autometer Pro Comp Gauges: Pryo and Boost, Fuel pressure, Oil pressure, Water temp, South Bend FE, 4" exhaust-turbo to tail, custom built turbo thanks to Brad at Ponci's Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by JKuhl View Post
    I just installed my new VP, and want to lower my FASS 150's fuel press from the 22psi its at right now. The new spring is on its way but I can't seem to remember which plug the spring is under on my FASS. I searched the forums and can't find the answer. Thanks for the help.

The pressure relief valve is in the middle of the pump. See the attached photo. It goes in the round hole in the center.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '01.5 2500 Laramie,4X4 QC, LWB, ETH 6 speed 3.55, KORE Chase, gauges, AFE Pro7 drop in, TAG III, port matched Dodgezilla 14, Banks Brake & 4"pipe, HRVP44, Smarty, Don's Mach 3.8's, Blue Chip APB, Haisley street cam, FASS HPFP, Vulcan draw straw, SB con ofe

'06 VW Golf GLS TDI with a few bombs

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    The pressure relief valve is in the middle of the pump. See the attached photo. It goes in the round hole in the center.

That is for an HPFP. . . . and we ask that the wire seal not be broken for WNTY reasons.

In the FASS, The spring goes under the fitting marked "Adjustable PSI Regulator" in this pic:

You are seeing 20+ PSI in a 95 Series unit? Something is not right at all there. . . . . check for any restrictions on the return line going back to the tank as this will increase pressure also. Lete me know how the new spring works out. . . . should be a PS-1008 Spring. . . . . .
    Last edited by LowFly; 09-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    LOWFLY

Warranty Technician for FASS fuel Systems

Click here for FASS website!

Thanks for the correction,Dan. I wondered if I had that right. By the way, I'm getting 25-30+ psi with my 95 hpfp. I've got the weaker spring in too. What's the next thing to do to lower the pressure. I think , ideally it should run about 15 psi.
    '01.5 2500 Laramie,4X4 QC, LWB, ETH 6 speed 3.55, KORE Chase, gauges, AFE Pro7 drop in, TAG III, port matched Dodgezilla 14, Banks Brake & 4"pipe, HRVP44, Smarty, Don's Mach 3.8's, Blue Chip APB, Haisley street cam, FASS HPFP, Vulcan draw straw, SB con ofe

Thanks for the correction,Dan. I wondered if I had that right. By the way, I'm getting 25-30+ psi with my 95 hpfp. I've got the weaker spring in too. What's the next thing to do to lower the pressure. I think , ideally it should run about 15 psi.

UM. . . . are you sure you gauge is reading correctly? That is really high and really odd pressures. Pressure is something we watch VERY carefully. . . especally on HPFP's. . . . we dead head every one for about 10 mins on the bench and if they are out of spec (Especally if they were 20 PSI+) they would get a second look until we got the pressure down.

Dead head our pump fwd of your gauge tap. See what the pump will dead head at. BUT make sure your gauge is reading correctly first. . . . .
    LOWFLY

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan View Post
    UM. . . . are you sure you gauge is reading correctly? That is really high and really odd pressures. Pressure is something we watch VERY carefully. . . especally on HPFP's. . . . we dead head every one for about 10 mins on the bench and if they are out of spec (Especally if they were 20 PSI+) they would get a second look until we got the pressure down.

Dead head our pump fwd of your gauge tap. See what the pump will dead head at. BUT make sure your gauge is reading correctly first. . . . .
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dead head" but about the gauge: it's a Westach electric unit. I was unsure & installed a second sending unit which reads just like the original one. Initially, I had a 16 psi unit on it but that just pegged at the top so I replaced it with the 30 psi unit. The pressure tap is at the injection pump.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dead head" but about the gauge: it's a Westach electric unit. I was unsure & installed a second sending unit which reads just like the original one. Initially, I had a 16 psi unit on it but that just pegged at the top so I replaced it with the 30 psi unit. The pressure tap is at the injection pump.

"Dead Head" means to cut off all flow. This will result in maximum pressure of the pump with out any outside sources affecting it.

With you being tapped at the VP. . . . . that limits us from dead heading the line to the HPFP without moving the tap.

Was the second gauge a mechanical unit or electric? AND if it was a different electric gauge, did you use a differant sending unit or leave the same one installed?

I have seen Westach gauges give some funky readings in the past. . . . mainly due to the sending unit being on top of the VP-44 inlet. This pump will beat thoes sending units to death. I had to even put a snubber inline on my mechanical gauge because it was buzzing soo bad.

With you being tapped at the VP. . . . . that limits us from dead heading the line to the HPFP without moving the tap.
    LOWFLY

Was the second gauge a mechanical unit or electric? AND if it was a different electric gauge, did you use a differant sending unit or leave the same one installed?

I have seen Westach gauges give some funky readings in the past. . . . mainly due to the sending unit being on top of the VP-44 inlet. This pump will beat thoes sending units to death. I had to even put a snubber inline on my mechanical gauge because it was buzzing soo bad.

With you being tapped at the VP. . . . . that limits us from dead heading the line to the HPFP without moving the tap. [/QUOTE]

It was a second sending unit I used but with the same gauge. The tap is on the Schrader valve & is connected to the sending unit with a 2 ft rubber line.

I have my supply line installed with a JIC tee at the pump, I can pull it and dead head it with a plug installed. My FASS pump is a 150 SN# 6080, when I get home I'll dead head it and recheck. My pressure has been 22 - 23 psi since I installed it in December of 05 using an ISSPRO gauge.
    02' 2500 SLT Laramie HO,4x4, LWB, Quad-Cab, Isspro Pyro, Boost, and FP, BHAF, Edge Comp, II VP 44, 275 RV's, FASS 150, Line-X, Pop-Up Hitch, Dayton Timberlines laying in on the ground

I also have a fass 150-95 and it runs at 20-22 psi

Quote Originally Posted by NMcCoy View Post
    I also have a fass 150-95 and it runs at 20-22 psi

I can see that out of a 150/95. . . because we have a spring for that. PS-1020. . . . . . installing a PS-1002 spring will get you down to about 13-14 PSI. IM guessing your unit is over a year old?

BUT the 95/95 or 95/150 at that pressure. . . . its very odd.
    LOWFLY

I checked pressures and had 22 psi dead headed. So I took off the hose and fitting for the regulator and removed the spring. My new one hadn't come yet, so I took my torch and put just a bit of heat to the spring to de-tension it a tad. Re-installed it and now have a 16 psi spring.

Of course I'll install the new spring when it arrives. I have to go out of town and wanted to have the lower pressure for the new VP from the get go. As it is I'll probably lose sleep over driving the truck 2 miles testing the new VP and injectors before adjusting fuel pressure.

My pump must be a 150/95, I guess I'm pretty confused about the model numbers. I just know mine has the big ol' expensive Filter & FW Sep. hanging from it. Now I just will have to get used to seeing my FP gauge reading something other than 22 psi.

Thanks for the response on where the regulator spring is, and I hope for many more trouble free miles with your fine product!

Quote Originally Posted by JKuhl View Post
    I checked pressures and had 22 psi dead headed. So I took off the hose and fitting for the regulator and removed the spring. My new one hadn't come yet, so I took my torch and put just a bit of heat to the spring to de-tension it a tad. Re-installed it and now have a 16 psi spring.

Of course I'll install the new spring when it arrives. I have to go out of town and wanted to have the lower pressure for the new VP from the get go. As it is I'll probably lose sleep over driving the truck 2 miles testing the new VP and injectors before adjusting fuel pressure.

My pump must be a 150/95, I guess I'm pretty confused about the model numbers. I just know mine has the big ol' expensive Filter & FW Sep. hanging from it. Now I just will have to get used to seeing my FP gauge reading something other than 22 psi.

Thanks for the response on where the regulator spring is, and I hope for many more trouble free miles with your fine product!

AHH. . . ok. . . i should have caught that from your SN. You have the older PS-1020 Spring we used to use.

Glad its working better for ya! Let me know if i can help any further!

O yeah. . . . if you give yourself some lead time. . . you can get filters from your FASS dealer (most have some on shelf). I dont think we have one over $35. 00 retail. . . . . and that is the 3um one. . . . . just a suggestion.
    LOWFLY

Hi Dan, just installed a fuel pressure gauge and my new FASS 150/150 is running right at 14-15 PSI . . . Perfect no?

Cheers, Bill
    Last edited by BILLUA; 09-09-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    2012 Laramie DRW CCLB 4x4, 68RFE 4.10 Mineral Gray. Max Tow. Airlift Airbags/Wireless Remote. B&W Turnover Combo. MaxBrake.

1992 W 250 Extended Cab, Getrag 3.54-New Project

05 3500 Laramie DRW, CCLB ,4x4,48RE, 3.73 LSD Traded.
    01 2500 SLT+ QCSB 4x4 Auto 3.54 SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast