Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluidampr

Fluidampr

Just received new dampner. Fluidampr is much beefier than OEM, and weights 24. 2 # - original weights 14. 4 # - that's on a bathroom scale. It's about an 1/8" larger in diameter and about 3/8" thicker! Oh and it's made in the good ol` US of A, not Mexico - no offense intended . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    99 2500 4X4 QC LB SLT Laramie Lt. Driftwood DTT QD 64/14 Mach 5s Comp ATS-3pc 4" Magnaflow 3:54s-locker in rear 285X75X16 Michelin Bilsteins bst/egt trans & fuel on "A" pillar Westin S/S steps. Truck Caught Smoking Spring Fling 07 522.69/998.83
    1st SO-VP replaced 3/09

I'm curious to know if you notice any difference in engine vibration.
    '99 4x4 QC SB Sport black, auto, cracked 53 gone, O-ringed head, FASS, TST, smarty, modified injectors and crossovers, PDR towing twins.

You can use a RASP IF your very careful about clearances. Tight fit, but can be done. I did mine.

Bob Weis
    02 3500 ETC,4.10,DD2,SMARTY,HTB2,ATS man,Rip's4",Scotty II,89 DTT,H7B ETC cooler,VP fuel temp,VP fuel coolers,VP OAT blower,Draw Straw,Kinsler JET CAN,RACOR 690,LFS-802,RASP #1lp,Walbro 392 #2lp,Speed Bleeders,SmarTire,CentraMatics,AUX bed tank,Williams Controls APPS with MicroSwitch IVS

Quote Originally Posted by GDMRTN View Post
    I'm curious to know if you notice any difference in engine vibration.

Me too. I'll definitly do a follow-up post after install . . .
    99 2500 4X4 QC LB SLT Laramie Lt. Driftwood DTT QD 64/14 Mach 5s Comp ATS-3pc 4" Magnaflow 3:54s-locker in rear 285X75X16 Michelin Bilsteins bst/egt trans & fuel on "A" pillar Westin S/S steps. Truck Caught Smoking Spring Fling 07 522.69/998.83
    1st SO-VP replaced 3/09

I didn't have a vibration but it really made a big difference in smoothing down my lope at idle with big injectors. So it should eliminate minor vibrations quite well.
    02 2500 QCLB 4x4.auto w/BD goodies.Drag comp.AFE Stg 1 dry.Fluidamper,BD 155hp injectors,Fass 150 hpfp,ATS exh & intake manifolds II's SILVER62,HRVP44 ladder bars.Ranchhand bumper,Dana 80 axle W/ discs.560hp 982tq.
    05 2500 QCSB 4x4 auto Smarty Jr. 407hp 732tq

IF you ever want to dynamically balance your crank DO NOT get rid of your OEM balancer.

My local "real" auto parts store is really a machine shop with a counter. I asked him about the fluid dampner before I got mine. He said if I ever wanted to dynamically balance the crank it is impossible to dynamically balance it with the FluiDamper. He also said it would take a few minutes for the fluid to warm up depending on the OAT. If the OAT is cool to cold do not immediately drive the truck (ie higher rpm) until the fluid has a chance to redistribute, or the balance of the crank will be worse because the fluid settles to the lower portion of the balancer overnight. Once the fluid redistributes, then it smoothes out. Basically understand what the balancer is doing and keep it in mind.

Bob Weis
    02 3500 ETC,4.10,DD2,SMARTY,HTB2,ATS man,Rip's4",Scotty II,89 DTT,H7B ETC cooler,VP fuel temp,VP fuel coolers,VP OAT blower,Draw Straw,Kinsler JET CAN,RACOR 690,LFS-802,RASP #1lp,Walbro 392 #2lp,Speed Bleeders,SmarTire,CentraMatics,AUX bed tank,Williams Controls APPS with MicroSwitch IVS

People often confuse the true purpose of the harmonic damper. . . it has little to do with engine balance (except for externally balanced engines, in which case it serves two functions). The purpose of the harmonic damper is to counteract the twisting and rebounding of the crankshaft due to firing of the front cylinders. . . the combustion pulses make the crank "ring" (vibrate torsionally) at various specific RPMs. This is more of an issue for inline 6 engines due to the long crank. When a damper goes bad it's murder on rod bearings and will likely break the crank.

Stock dampers mainly address the RPM at which the harmonics are strongest within the normal operating RPM range, whereas the fluidampr helps quell 2nd and 3rd order harmonics as well (mathematical multiples of the base frequency). . . basically covers the full RPM band better. The stock damper is a compromise. As you may recall Cummins says there is a specific engine speed (around 4300 RPM?)where vibes are the worst and can cause major damage, likely because the firing pulses at that speed best matches the cranks' natural ringing frequency. The stock damper isn't effective at that RPM since it's outside the normal operating RPM range. The Fluidampr probably does a much better job at that critical RPM.
    Last edited by Vaughn MacKenzie; 11-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.
    '98.5 Club Cab 2wd SWB, Garrett BB Stage 3 turbo, Polydyn tubular header, Jammer I injectors, 5" exhaust
    Truck 2: '96 CC 4x4 LB, 5-spd 3.54 LSD, PDR 175 pump, Hybrid 35/40, DDP Stage IIs, SB 13" Clutch 472,344 mi.

In memory of Rob Hanson- July 2005
    and Nowel "HVAC" Thomas- Dec 2003

Thumbs up

Read Vaughn post. It is right on the money. The Cummins is internally balanced. The balancer is really a damper. That's why the rubber ring is on the OEM one. It is there to absorb shock & pulses.

I have had a Fluidampr on the truck for about a year now. Right off the bat I noticed a new "smoothness" through out. From idle to redline. The engine seems to rev easier too. It other words I am at 2200 rpms and I don't notice it. With the OEM balancer I'd know it at 2000 rpms.

It is tough to explain but imagine your engine, trans and leaf springs are all on super, super soft mounts. It feels like all vibration is gone w/ the new Fluidampr.

One of the best mods I have done to the truck.

If you plan on reving up your truck, you should plan on pinning the Fluidampr to the crank snount when you install it. Remember the gassers all have a keyway and a BIG bolt to secure the damper to the crank. The Cummins is a bolt on.

TDR member "Hammer" can shed more light on reasons for pinning.

Thumbs up Pinning kit....

TDR member "Hammer" on pinning:

"Now there is a statement made by someone who doesn't even know why they want them pinned at all. Please make sure son, since you claim to be one of the drag race guys, to NOT, repeat NOT, be in the other lane near me twisting your truck rpms into submission without a pinned dampr. I am guessing that you never have seen the damage of a unpinned dampr at high rpms then,correct?. On a truck which sees more normal RPM ranges then yes, I would agree that pinning them may be overkill. HOWEVER, one that is about to be twisted into rpm submission, using the let the parts hit the floor attitude, then if your not pinned you could be a accident waiting to happen. I have pinned Fluidamprs on motors that have seen way more rpms than our diesel run and know what could happen and does when the pinning isn't done.

So a complete and udder waste of time, nope,mine being pinned has certainly brought me confidence to see the tach buried on a regular basis. I do know that when the guys did mine in the truck, they had lots of kind words for how much fun the job was. No one said it was easy,but then again,what worthwhile engine modification that you have done that ensures your safety and the engines longevity would be easy?. . . . . . . . . "

PS: I didn't pin mine becuse I don't rev it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OK here's the verdict . . . It smoothed things out very nicely and the engine seems to rev a bit quicker. At speed it's smooth as silk the higher the rpm/speed the more you don't notice the speed/rpm . . . could be a problem with the long arm of the law - guess that's why there's gages? ? ?

MHO - $$$ well spent.
    1st SO-VP replaced 3/09

there is no waiting for the fluid inside to warm up. it has the same viscosity at-20 or +100 degrees. That is a big fluid dampr myth. click on link & look @ #3 FluidamprŪ Harmonic Dampers Made in U. S. A.

scot
    96 2500 EC/LB, 174000 miles,AFE stage 2 w/outerware,5" D/E ehaust (no muffler),315/75-16 Pro Comp Mud Terrains, 3" BDS coil spacer, Dual Bilstein shocks up front,Goerend Bros T/L converter & valve body,ATS arc-ram intake,4k gsk,mag-hytec trans pan (double deep),mystery switch, ATS exhaust manifold

4k miles with fluid damper. ( 3500 miles with TC ). my impressions

Made quite a difference in transmission ' growl ' under load
    ( 6 speed ), Changes the vibration noise from a low freq to a quitter hgh freq noise ( I think ) may be just hearing the engine
    noise which was masked by the trans noise. ,
    Much quitter at road speeds.

Do get some low rpm growl from the trans when it warms up,
    just coming after clutch engage at low rpm, but no way like before fluidamper install. . . . Should help longivity of trans,

Do have some rattle when shuting down, ? clutch or dual mass springs??

When unloaded," NICE": with the Smarty on fuel saver and the
    fluidamper, Feels/sounds like a sports car,

Install was easy, except torquing the bolts to fluidamper specs.
    Tryed to use trans in gear to torque bolts, clutch slipped before
    torqued to spec ( should have used direct gear instead of 2nd )
    my mistake, did get above 130 lbft, should be enough for
    for std hp, ( did not pin the fluidamper )

Did/Do have 1 concern, right after install, I had some Black,
    gooey stuff stuck to the track bar, looked like it dripped from the fluidamper ( not sure ). been checking since, no re-occurance

Bottom line, It works. . . . as advertised. . . Great for std shift. .
    2002 4x4 6sd HO: "MODS", EMS Hubs, DSS , Smarty

I am pinned and glad I did it. I really did not notice much diff when I was a stick or even when I changed to an auto. However when I took my old balancer off I did look at the indexing marks, and man was I out of speck, to the point where it was about ready to come apart.
    '01 2500 Quad L/B, ETH 4x4, With some other bolt on parts.

Dyno- 653hp 1213fpt Spring '08

Triple D Performance

I agree that the Fluidamper was a great mod, very noticeable difference in vibration. I would do it again for sure.
    99 Quad cab, M5's, ARP, 64/71/14 , HTT CRACKED manifold, 3rd gen E-brake, QUADZILLA ADRENALINE/SMARTY,Fass 150, Fluidamper, Iron Giant, 4" exhaust, Afe, Dss & 3rd gen track bar, ARB, Nittos on spies, 611hp/1141lbft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DizzchwGAec

Did/Do have 1 concern, right after install, I had some Black,

gooey stuff stuck to the track bar, looked like it dripped from the fluidamper ( not sure ). been checking since, no re-occurance

this was my main concern about going to a fluid damper , have you been able to tell if it was in fact leaking?
    John Deere yellow 1998 24 valve quad cab dually , the bee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast