Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Posts
    473

    Fire department Service/ Brush truck

    Being a member of the local VFD we are in the process of researching the possibilities of a new Service / Brush truck. Since I am the lieutenant for the truck I would like to push for a Dodge/Cummins 5500 with an enclosed service body / brush truck body. Our current truck is a one ton International with an enclosed utility body.



    Is anyone a member of a FD that has a Dodge/Cummins truck? I would really like to see photos and hear your opinions.
    2001 Ram 2500 HD CTD 4x4,Auto, Quad Cab,SLT, LWB, Patriot Blue/Silver Two Tone

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Shell Knob Missouri, 30 miles from Branson
    Posts
    1,491
    Check this thread out, there is a bunch of pictures I took of the trucks I built for our fire department. What does your average bare bones flatbed weigh? - TDR Roundtable
    If you're not in trouble or causing trouble, you're not having any fun, and I'm having a blast! How about you?

    2014, 3500, 6.7, Aisin, DRW, 3.73, 4X4, Laramie, Crew cab, Sirius, 75 gal transfer tank, lights & siren

    06 Landmark, Mt. Rushmore 5th wheel, 40', wt 16k

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    3,702
    You might wish to rethink your needs. . . . I do believe that these are great trucks. . . . my 5500 now has 9,000 miles on it. . . . but what I don't think the factory has worked out. . . . is long idle times. . . If the DPF went through a self clean cycle sitting in a brush field you'd have a fire under the truck. . . . . .

    However we noticed that our truck has the ability to kick up the RPM with a switch across 2 pins for PTO speeds. . . this would be great for a pumper. . . . . flick the switch, engage the PTO and pump. . . . . . . .

    Knowing your going to have 20 guys who might run this truck and they will want to let it sit and idle while they wash it. . . . . or stop with a second truck and chat. . . . etc. . . . I just don't see it. . . .

    OTOH (on the other hand) where we use it as a highway truck. . . always at GVW and cruising down the highway. . . . . so far its a great truck. . . .
    Jim



    Retired Roaming America, 05 3500 4x4 Dually Molten Red stick, 125K miles, PacBrake Exhaust Brakes, 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 05 Honda Rincon 650 ATV, 2001 Honda Goldwing

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Marlborough, CT U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,271
    You might want to check out these guys.

    Wildfire manufacturing



    They have done some really nice trucks on Cummins and Phord frames.



    The first one I saw was on this site 5 years ago. Its on Dave Fritzes site.





    Dave has more pics of it HERE!!!

    2001.5 D2500 QC SB SLT 4X4,
    DTT 89% TC & VB, Camshaft & HRVP44 from Massdiesel, DDII injectors, Garrett BB Turbo Stage II, FASS 150 fuel system, Bully Dog 5" exhaust, 315/70R17 BFG AT's on 102 Eagle Wheels, Reunel rear and Denver Offroad front Bumpers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    276
    myself, build the truck for the mission at hand,

    - will the truck TAKEN OFF ROAD INTHE WOODS?

    -do you mined the truck getting scratched and dented or will it be pretty site on the hard road??

    -what do you want the truck to do and go????



    an yr old maybe two diesel 3500 would do nice, true suspension lift, real tires not ***** ones , winch, 250-400gal water, cafs sys. 4x4, regular cab, crew cab adds weight, beefy bumpper front and rear, tow hooks front and rear
    '06 2500 mega, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 285 E nittos, mopar bars, protected by Don't Tread On Me....

    STEFAN "THE SNUFF"
    Hug a Fireman.....Live the IAFF.....
    Hug a VET.....you might need them one day .......

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    B-gard(Auburn) Alabama
    Posts
    1,065
    I pushed hard for a 95-98 Ram 2500 but our chief thinks ford's are cool.

    Consider a truck that is not easy to put on it's side and one that doesn't cost so much that if it gets totaled it puts your station in a bind. I know that's why we carry insurance but our dept. has a shortage of funds.



    Sounds like your talking "New truck".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Posts
    473
    Thanks for the info so far. I never even thought about the Sterling Bullet
    2001 Ram 2500 HD CTD 4x4,Auto, Quad Cab,SLT, LWB, Patriot Blue/Silver Two Tone

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by stg2500 View Post
    Thanks for the info so far. I never even thought about the Sterling Bullet


    I'm not trying to put damper on your project, I live in a very rural area that is extremely susceptible to fires. Our V. F. D. has a 08 powerjunck and we try to encourage them not to even use this truck offroad!

    I would suggest an older medium duty Kodiak 4X4!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsford, MI
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by jelag View Post
    You might wish to rethink your needs. . . . I do believe that these are great trucks. . . . my 5500 now has 9,000 miles on it. . . . but what I don't think the factory has worked out. . . . is long idle times. . . If the DPF went through a self clean cycle sitting in a brush field you'd have a fire under the truck. . . . . .



    However we noticed that our truck has the ability to kick up the RPM with a switch across 2 pins for PTO speeds. . . this would be great for a pumper. . . . . flick the switch, engage the PTO and pump. . . . . . . .



    Knowing your going to have 20 guys who might run this truck and they will want to let it sit and idle while they wash it. . . . . or stop with a second truck and chat. . . . etc. . . . I just don't see it. . . .



    OTOH (on the other hand) where we use it as a highway truck. . . always at GVW and cruising down the highway. . . . . so far its a great truck. . . .






    what if you put a single stack on the truck?
    1990 W350 LE Project Restoration
    2001 2500 Monster pump, 3rd Gen head, TWIN TURBO II 62/S400, DTT
    2006 2500 daily rig Smarty JR
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...Smallthree.jpg

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LaGrangeville NY USA
    Posts
    1,324
    yeah I feel for you . . our dept is so set on fords. . they are specing a new brush pump truck now and I havn't even looked at the tenative specs. . as the guys building it aren't diesel heads,,and think a 550 is the end of all ends. . etc. . oh well the 550 and the 5500 cummins probably have the same regen issues . . I don't even thing these guys know what regen is and I'd probably have to explain it to them. . its frustrating. . they are also doing a tandem axle tanker too. . and i'm not sure who or what for the same reason. . I just hope it has balls and a real engine brake. . a 160hp dt466 in a approx 1500 gal tanker/ pump sucks on hills

    Thanks

    Deo
    2000 Excursion XLT 4x4, P Pump 12V Cummins, O ringed, lazer DV, 370's, G56 6 speed, Southbend FE clutch, guages, 4" Remote BD Ex. Brake, full vinyl floor.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/therabbittree/Excursion02#
    1992 Dodge W350 srw 4x4, Getrag, 3.07's, PODs, guages, 5"stack, 8' dumping flatbed,

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by therabbittree View Post
    yeah I feel for you . . our dept is so set on fords. . they are specing a new brush pump truck now and I havn't even looked at the tenative specs. . as the guys building it aren't diesel heads,,and think a 550 is the end of all ends. . etc. . oh well the 550 and the 5500 cummins probably have the same regen issues . . I don't even thing these guys know what regen is and I'd probably have to explain it to them. . its frustrating. . they are also doing a tandem axle tanker too. . and i'm not sure who or what for the same reason. . I just hope it has balls and a real engine brake. . a 160hp dt466 in a approx 1500 gal tanker/ pump sucks on hills

    Thanks

    Deo


    Deo,



    I here you on the non-diesel heads. Luckily, my Deputy Chief knows that I'm a diesel head and asked for some input. He wasn't sold on the Dodge until I showed him the cab and chasiss 5500. He definately wants the Cummins though You need to jump to the F-650 to get the Cummins in a Ford, which he said was way too big for what we need.
    2001 Ram 2500 HD CTD 4x4,Auto, Quad Cab,SLT, LWB, Patriot Blue/Silver Two Tone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •