Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Go to a truck supply and buy a suction gun made by Lincoln, they make grease guns too, they are top of the line, heavy duty, about 20-30 bucks, all metal
    Locomotive Engineer/Mechanic. Freight Logistics for the music industry, Firearms instructor/armorer. 01' 2500. Check my profile for my truck info, too much to list here.

Unless you think you're going to be using it a lot a suction gun is a waste of money, mine has been sitting on the shelf for at least 5 years. Buy a turkey baster for 99, at that price you can just throw it away rather than hassling with cleaning it out.

I boofed an earlier posting and EMDDiesel caught it. THANKS

Our DODGE P/U (as all automotive systems) use completely separate transmission and power steering systems.

I work at an OEM and our P/S, fan drive, and auto trany systems use the same fluid from a common reservoir, but still have separate pumps.

Hope I didn't cause any problems

John

I saw on TV several years ago where a lady and her husband artificially inseminated his wife using the turkey baster but this is another first - to suck out the power steering fluid. I actually bought one today and changed out some rather brownish old fluid. I was only able to suck out exactly 2 oz because the baster hit bottom. Is this about all you can get at one time?
    2003 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4, HO, 6 speed, loaded. Timberline Green. Rhino Lining, bed caps, stainless entry guards, window mouldings, 50 gallon Transfer Flow combo tool box/fuel tank, Jake Brake.

2000 VW Beetle diesel 5 speed that will outrun most gassers on the road and gets 48 MPG while it does it.

yea i got about 2. 5 out so its close. I think im going to buy a syphon thingee from wallmart my baster dripped and stuff all over the place. I think they are like 5 bucks.
    2001 QuadCab Sold.........

2007.5 6.7L 3500 SRW

This is a follow up:

Just got back from the Smoky Mountains. I replaced the power steering fluid before I left using a turkey baster. I checked the level daily while I was gone. All looked good.

Today I'll do it again. Someone suggested when replacing the power steering fluid to use a baster, and then a week later do it again. This way you replace most of the old fluid. Made sense to me.

Bill Cook
    '98, 3500, 150,000 miles, 12 valve, 4x4, QCab, SLT, auto, 3.54, tow pkg, Pro-Loc TC, TST #8 plate (230/605), BD exhaust brake-presure lock-torque lock (I never turn the torque loc on), heavy duty valv

2 ounces?

Doesn't the PS system hold 2 pints or 16 ounces? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the turkey baster method only changes 2 ounces I'll be jacking the truck up to flush the system.

-Ryan

Originally posted by Cooker

2 ounces?

Doesn't the PS system hold 2 pints or 16 ounces? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the turkey baster method only changes 2 ounces I'll be jacking the truck up to flush the system.

-Ryan
    I really don't know how much the steering unit holds. The manual doesn't tell either. The 2 oz that I got out seemed rather puny to me and you're right, you'd have to change it out 10 or so times to do any good if it holds 20 ounces. The solution to pollution is dilution, and it would take a long while to dilute this down with new juice. Anybody know how much the unit holds?
    2003 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4, HO, 6 speed, loaded. Timberline Green. Rhino Lining, bed caps, stainless entry guards, window mouldings, 50 gallon Transfer Flow combo tool box/fuel tank, Jake Brake.

2000 VW Beetle diesel 5 speed that will outrun most gassers on the road and gets 48 MPG while it does it.

according to my service manual the ps system holds 1. 3L (2. 7 pts). I don't know how many oz this works out to be. A qt bottle holds a little less than a liter, so I'm going to aprroximate the ps system hold around 1. 5 qts.

I used the suction gun method and was able to remove a little over 12 oz from the ps reservoir. I found initailly I too could not get but a few oz's out of the part of the reservoir where the dip stick gets the fluid level reading. After I removed this small amount I noticed an "opening/hole" in the bottom of this part of the reservoir. I removed the hard plastic tube from my suction gun and put small piece of 3/8 fuel line on (something more flexible) and was able to put it down the hole, deeper into ps pump and remove an additional 10oz or so of ps fluid. If I was able to fit a smaller hose on my suction gun I may have been able to get further down to get more fluid out. The 3/8" hose only went in a few inches and then hit something and I was unable to "fish" it around the obstruction.

I then filled the reservoir with 13 oz of the Valvoline ps fluid. Only thing not mentioned in earlier posts about this was getting air in the system. When I started my truck the steering wheel would not turn, thought I done messed it up and should have left well enough alone. After a few minutes of fast idling all was back to normal.
    '95 2500 SLT 5 speed 4x4
    '02 2500 H.O. quad cab, sport, 4x4

Its impossible to even see into the res after the lid is off the ps pump. Maybe I can fish it around blind and find that hole. Thanks for the info, my next days off I'll be out there again and try that.

Where can the Lincoln suction gun be found?

Grainger carries them, i think www.mcmastercarr.com does too. The nice thing about a suction gun versus a turkey baster is the gun has an 18" long hose to get into tight areas, plus it has alot more suction.

Don't understand why the turkey baster isn't working for you guys, works fine for me. If you want a super-duper suction gun guaranteed to suck your PS reservoir or master cylinder out in less than 2 seconds build your own. Just duct tape the hose of your vacuum cleaner to the top of a 2 liter pop container, poke a hole in it near the top and insert whatever size tubing you like, make sure it fits tight and goes to the bottom of the jug. You're ready to suck, just make sure the container stays upright so the fluid doesn't go into the vac. Use a stronger jug if using a shop vac so it doesn't collapse, the type that cranberry juice comes in works great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123