1. HKuskie

I,m looking for a better motor oil to run in my 2001 24 valve diesel to handle the hard work of towing a 30 ft travel trailer weighing around 6400 to 6600 lbs. I'm leaning toward Royal Purple. Is there any other oil out there having as good a reputation. I'm currently running Delo 400 LE 15w40. Also what oil filter? Harley

HKuskie , May 30, 2009
  2. Grizzly

Welcome to TDR.

Much has been said about oils on here. Do a search. Delo 400, cj is not the best choice.

As far as oil filters, I believe that Fleetguard are about as good as it gets.

Grizzly , May 30, 2009
  3. seemore

Grizzly is right! If you do a search you'll probabaly find a hundred pages on what is the best oil:-laf Been discussed many many times!

seemore , May 30, 2009
  4. waltk TDR MEMBER

I have used nothing but "formulated-by-Valvoline-for-Cummins" synthetic oil... "Premium Blue 2000" and "Premium Blue Extreme"... for the past few oilchanges I have ceased use of the "Stratapore" filter for the "Venturi By-pass" Fleetguard filter... (the "$45 oilfilter", but at Cummins Northeast, Syracuse, NY I paid closer to $27... and am changing oil at 10,000 miles)...

And, as was already stated, oil opinions can often take on the feel of a "religious war"; I simply offer my opinion, I see no compelling reason to change my habits.

Walt K.

waltk , Mar 18, 2013
  5. Tim1

You know, oil that is rated for diesel will be owners choice and will be ok. These days oil is alot better than old days. Filters, though, stick with fleetguard! Tim

Tim1 , Jun 21, 2013
  6. Wayne M.

Fleetguard all the way! Really is the best. I don't push her hard so I guess the choice of oil for me is not as critical as sampling it and changing it on time, but I do use whatever is on sale. Usually Rotella or Delvac.

Wayne M. , Jun 21, 2013
  7. fox

I feel Schaeffers makes the best oils.
    I'm not a dealer.
    Get an oil sample of what you are using and find out.
    flletguard filters, never a Fram.

8. Killgore

Harley, I use what the factory puts in them, Valvoline Premium Blue, however, since I don't have a 6. 7 that's telling me to change more often due to fuel dilution and soot, I'm going to the full synthetic on the next change. I wrote a rather lengthy article that went to cyberspace and then bounced back to my profile page that gives a little detail on CI verses CJ oils, and dino verses synthetic. This was a summation of what we heard on the TDR CMEP TOUR. I also believe John Martin has gone into some oil evaluations in past TDR editions that can be referenced.

Good luck and safe driving - Ed

Killgore , Jun 21, 2013
  9. Killgore

Harley, I use what the factory puts in them, Valvoline Premium Blue, however, since I don't have a 6. 7 that's telling me to change more often due to fuel dilution and soot, I'm going to the full synthetic on the next change. I wrote a rather lengthy article that went to cyberspace and then bounced back to my profile page that gives a little detail on CI verses CJ oils, and dino verses synthetic. This was a summation of what we heard on the TDR CMEP TOUR. I also believe John Martin has gone into some oil evaluations in past TDR editions that can be referenced.

Good luck and safe driving - Ed

Killgore , Jun 21, 2013
  10. Killgore

Hah! I should have looked at the date on the original post before running my mouth, however, I've been looking for the opportunity to pontificate. Ed

Killgore , Jun 21, 2013
  11. PappaGreg

I've been using Rotella Synthetic oil with a Mobil filter (MI-403). Been working just fine so far with 85,000 miles and she purrs like a happy kitten!

PappaGreg , Sep 29, 2014
  12. Killgore

As a follow-up after using the Valvoline synthetic, my Blackstone OA showed that cylinder wear was up with iron showing 47 ppm after 10,000 miles. This was almost twice what it normally runs when using 15W40. Well, I think after the old girl passed 200,000 I should have realized that running a heavier weight oil was just good common sense in this heat. Next month I will change oil again and pull a sample of the used 15W40 and I'll be surprised if my iron doesn't go down.

- Ed

Killgore , Sep 30, 2014
  13. Killgore

Duplicate post - sorry.

- Ed

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Killgore , Sep 30, 2014
  14. ranger 393

I like amsoil, been using from day one

ranger 393 , Oct 3, 2014
  15. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

It was very clear to me when I removed the timing cover at 100K on my 98 12V it had black streaks all over everything. I bought the truck with 56K and then ran AMZ/OIL 15/40 after that. Previous owner ran Delo400 15-40. When pulling the timing cover from my Dad's 94 12V to do the dowel pin I noticed his engine was absolutely clean at 125K. He ran the AMZ/OIL after first oil change. I have used AMZ/OIL products since the mid 70's.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 11, 2014