Thread: Flying J prices

Flying J prices

It use to be that I would drive to Flying J to fill the truck. Now it seems the local stations are less per gallon. What happened?. It was also nice when Flying J had their own restaurants with the all you can eat breakfasts, now it's Denny's. Flying j is definately not the same anymore.

Dave
    99 2500 DTT Trans,89%TC,Smart Controller, ISS pro gauges, boost, trans temp, egt, Westach 0-16psi fuel pressure gauge, DDUFM, Mopar Mud Flaps,TDR Grille Badge,Oilguard Bypass system, Jacobs Exhaust Brake, Fluid Damper, 32' Citation 5th wheel,
    out with the 53 in with the 56
    70 Roadrunner

Flying J is only a name now. Pilot Corporation in the person of the Governor of Tennessee and his brother who is the managing partner purchased Flying J about two years ago when the foolish descendents or heirs of J of Flying J made bad business decisions and drove it into the ground.

FJ is Pilot now.
    Harvey Barlow

2008 Ram 3500 SLT QC & Chassis w/ CM bed
    2007 HitchHiker Discover America 32 LKTG
    2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

Since that happened I do not use them any more as they are more expensive then other

stations. Flying J was great but not since Pilot took them over, they have ruined them.
    Jack

2002 Quad Cab,Sport,4X4,6 Speed,HO,Gauges, Graphite Metallic Clear Coat,Line-X Bed Liner,Power Vision Mirrors,Raider Camper Shell,Luverne SS Running Boards, Vulcan Big Line Fuel Kit.

1996 32 FT Holiday Rambler AlumaLite TT,Model 32WF, Hensley Hitch,MaxBrake.

I agree. I don't patronize them any longer either. When I was transporting trailers I spent $27,000/year in FJs. Now I spend $0. 00.

A year or so ago I pulled up to the diesel pump at the FJ in Lbk, plugged my FJ card then credit card in, and reached for the diesel nozzle. About that time I glanced down and noticed the decal advising unwilling buyers they would be dumping ten percent corn fuel in their tank. I rehung the nozzle and have never been back.
    Harvey Barlow

2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

I used to use FJ almos exclusivly, now I really dont see the point. They used to cater to RVers now we are treated like a pest. There are plenty of other stations to buy fuel from.
    2013 3500 DRW, Automatic RE,4:10 gears, CM flatbed, 74 gal Transferflow tank in bed Big black, .
    04 Larame 3500 DRW ,6 speed,PacBrake.,Autometer Gauges. A-fe Juce. Silver charger. Kelderman 4link.
    1972 IH 1066 pulling tractor
    2011 Platinum-Outlaw GN trailer.
    HONDA ST 1100

Interesting comments, here. I used to shop at Fluing J almost exclusivly. About a year or more, ago, I discovered that the local gas stations were cheaper. That never had been true, before. This change occured after the Pilot takeover, it seems.

The closest J was quite a drive (67 Ave. & I-10 in Phoenix, AZ. ), for me but, I did it anyway. Then, a Quik Trip truck stop opened at 51 Ave. & I-10 & their prices were cheaper than the J. Besides that, they were selling Low Sulphur Diesel while the others were selling ULSD.

For some reason or other, the locaL gas stations began to have cheaper pricing than the truck stops so, I started shopping their stores.

About a month ago, I had occasion to go to the QT & their prices were substantially cheaper ($3. 37/9)than the local stations. I even called a friend to tell him the good news & he asked me to go to the J & see what their prices were like ($3. 33/9). I think that the local stations were about $3. 49/9 at the same time. Now, they are up to $3. 69/9 at the local stations. Must be the holiday pricing!!! Guess that means that I'm going to have to "Labor" more to fill the truck!!!

It would be interesting to know what prompts those wild swings in pricing. I heard that after Hurricane Irene, the east coast refiners had about 29 days worth of gasoline & well over 70 days worth of diesel in stock. So, I don't know how that would effect the pricing in AZ. other than they just CAN do it.

Joe F.
    '03, 3500 QC, HO, 6-sp., 4X4, White, X-Monitor, AFE PG-7 Air Intake, Magnaflow,ARE-MX, Dee Zee Run. Bds., Dually Depot 115gal.Tank, Inyati Bedliner. Mag-Hytec.
    '91.5 W-250,Wh/Silv, 16 sq.cm. Turbo, Inj. Pump Recalibrated, Banks Exh., Isspro Guages, ATS St.4 Trans.w/ TripleLok TC, Brown's Weld. Bumpers f/r, Alcoa Whls.

And some Flying J's are doing away with the RV island, so you have to fight the regular Islands and cars. witch makes it impossible to turn and exit with a trailer
    "95" 2500 flame red/silver C/C, 5 spd DeeZee running boards, #5tst, pinnacle performance exhaust ( jerry jardine) 4" all the way, pacbrake, chrome kit, primeloc remote fuel filter, custom designed mounting platform, grill/fender brush guard. pin is done, DPS three piece manifold, Colibert Free ride.

Yes & they ding you for using a Debit card. Another reason I quit going to them.
    Jack

2002 Quad Cab,Sport,4X4,6 Speed,HO,Gauges, Graphite Metallic Clear Coat,Line-X Bed Liner,Power Vision Mirrors,Raider Camper Shell,Luverne SS Running Boards, Vulcan Big Line Fuel Kit.

1996 32 FT Holiday Rambler AlumaLite TT,Model 32WF, Hensley Hitch,MaxBrake.

. . . . . . . . . . and no more free rv dumping. My normal Glamis route no longer includes the "j"
    94 2500 4x4 5 spd Carli performance 2.0 with full leafs
    2005 2500 Quad 4x4 48re,Carli dominator 3.0 plus long travel air bags, Baja proven and enough power to make it work

Flying Js were once the RVers choice. I was a loyal fan and supporter. They offered free fresh water fills and dumping, RV fuel islands, generous parking for RVers, and almost all their stores had nice clean buffet restaurants.

Pilot's first step was to begin charging for holding tank dumps. I called them to discuss it and then asked the office person I was speaking to listen carefully as I cut the FJ discount card I had carried and faithfully used for years and dropped it in my trash can.

Now I fuel my truck at SAM's Clubs as often as possible. No facilities but fuel prices ae much lower and plenty of RV parking.

I believe the two brothers who own Pilot are of, shall we say, middle eastern descent.
    Harvey Barlow

2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    Flying Js were once the RVers choice. I was a loyal fan and supporter. They offered free fresh water fills and dumping, RV fuel islands, generous parking for RVers, and almost all their stores had nice clean buffet restaurants.

Pilot's first step was to begin charging for holding tank dumps. I called them to discuss it and then asked the office person I was speaking to listen carefully as I cut the FJ discount card I had carried and faithfully used for years and dropped it in my trash can.

Now I fuel my truck at SAM's Clubs as often as possible. No facilities but fuel prices ae much lower and plenty of RV parking.

I believe the two brothers who own Pilot are of, shall we say, middle eastern descent.

ILL SAY IT HARVEY RAG HEADS I was wondering if they are the push to start or pull to start type of RAG HEADS
    04.5 FS2500 ,Air bags ,mag hitec pan and cover,Air aide,pre luber,Espar heater,extreme air compressor,Rhino liner,DTT48RE

"A horse will kill you by accident; a mule will kill you on purpose. Mules are smarter than horses."

Quote Originally Posted by BIGNASTY View Post
    ILL SAY IT HARVEY RAG HEADS I was wondering if they are the push to start or pull to start type of RAG HEADS

Harvey is right about Pilot, BUT the Haslams are not of mid-eastern descent. Their daddy was born in Detroit and they were born in Knoxville. Pilot also bought out Speedway several years ago when they became too much competition. I avoid Pilots and Pilot/FlyingJ's now also. Been buying fuel at Kroger stores since wife buys groceries there. Fuel has always checked clear and they have a pretty large turnover of fuel.
    95 2500 4wd BulletProof-47RH 4.10s Gauged TST#8 DSS Sport Headlights 329k mi
    03 3500 2wd NV5600 4.10s Walbro Airaid 531k mi - SOLD
    65 International Scout 80

Gary,

I was just slinging a little mud at the Haslam brothers and don't really know their ancestry but are you sure they aren't turban types? There are a hell of a lot of Arabs in the Detroit area. The fact their father was born in Detroit doesn't mean his ancestors weren't from the middle east.

The name Haslam doesn't sound much like Jones, Smith, Brown, or other common American surnames.

I don't appreciate what they have done to my favorite truck stops but I do begrudgingly admire their business acumen. They are clearly extremely smart, successful businessmen. A local I knew who formerly worked for them as a Pilot District or Regional Manager told me the wife of the brother who is the managing partner of all the truck stops owns the Home and Garden Channel on television.
    Last edited by HBarlow; 09-04-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Harvey Barlow

2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

I too have quit using Flying J for all of the reasons listed above. . .

One would think that if you are buying a lucrative business you would want to keep it running as good or better, not trash it!

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    Gary,

I was just slinging a little mud at the Haslam brothers and don't really know their ancestry but are you sure they aren't turban types? There are a hell of a lot of Arabs in the Detroit area. The fact their father was born in Detroit doesn't mean his ancestors weren't from the middle east.

The name Haslam doesn't sound much like Jones, Smith, Brown, or other common American surnames.

I don't appreciate what they have done to my favorite truck stops but I do begrudgingly admire their business acumen. They are clearly extremely smart, successful businessmen. A local I knew who formerly worked for them as a Pilot District or Regional Manager told me the wife of the brother who is the managing partner of all the truck stops owns the Home and Garden Channel on television.

Just did a little family history and Haslam is an English name which means "one who lives by the heath". Also the Haslams aren't dark skinned or dark haired. Also, their grandfather was born in PA and was a WWI veteran.

Wish I could support the Pilots since it is headquartered here, but doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.
    95 2500 4wd BulletProof-47RH 4.10s Gauged TST#8 DSS Sport Headlights 329k mi
    03 3500 2wd NV5600 4.10s Walbro Airaid 531k mi - SOLD
    65 International Scout 80