Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAnhel

I have a 2004 Dodge with a Cummins 5. 9 diesel engine. The engine ID tag is missing off the valve cover so I have no engine information or engine serial number. How can I obtain this info.

NAnhel , Jul 18, 2012
  2. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Call Cummins with your VIN. They should be able to give you the info.

BigPapa , Jul 18, 2012
  3. 6speed TDR MEMBER

Also go to the driver door jam and look at the build date. If built on or after 1 Jan 04 then you have an 04. 5 which gives you the 325/600 motor. I don't know that Cummins can give you anything from the VIN. I would think take the VIN to a dealer.

6speed , Jul 19, 2012
  4. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Cummins won't be able to tell by your truck Vin.

EDIT, I was wrong. See my next post.

Take the truck serial number to the Dodge dealer and they should be able to access the engine serial number that way. Should show right up if they review the trucks history in the warranty system.

Then write it down and save it, most engine parts can be obtained through Cummins for a lot less money. But the Cummins engine serial number is needed to do that accurately. Engine serial number consists of 8 numbers.

For example the ESN in my '06 is 57451227.

Mike. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    mwilson , Jul 19, 2012
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Mike at Cummins Cumberland has done it for me several times. Thank you.

Carry on.

BigPapa , Jul 19, 2012
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Ok, I carried on. :)

What I really did was log onto Cummins RapidServe to see if I was missing something. Lo and behold there is a NEW field that I have never seen before. I called Cummins Northeast, asked them about it. They backed me up by saying "When in Hell did that show up on there???". That made me feel a little better about the situation at least. Now he is calling the other 5 branches to tell them about it.

The last thing I ever want to do is give out bad info on here.

Apparently Cummins proper has had the capability right along to cross reference vehicle and equipment Vins to Engine Serial Number. It was only on the big system that we dealers do not have access to, it is the same system that they can view factory stock on. We dealers can only see distributor stock for example.

Someone at Cummins decided recently that it might be a handy resource for those of us out in the trenches and put it on QuickServe. Just would have real nice to tell us all about it, but hey it's not a perfect world.

So all of you on here with QuickServe here is a screen shot of where it is.

Fourth line down under the ESN entry box. VIN-ESN Reference.

Click on it, then the search box comes up. Enter the vehicle serial number. Hit Search. Wait, as it is a big search. Takes 10 seconds or so as fast as our internet is.

Then voila, there it is. Nice. :D

Now I'm trying Freightliner Vin's to see if they work. Both of my Dodges did.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    mwilson , Jul 19, 2012
  7. Prairie Dog

That's pretty cool. I'm surprised Dodge tellx Cummins what truck they put a specific eng in. I suppose this goes for the big boys too like Kenworth.

Prairie Dog , Jul 19, 2012
  8. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Just worked for the two Freightliner Vin's that I tried. Will experiment with other brands of trucks and heavy equipment as I run into them.

Nifty!!!

mwilson , Jul 19, 2012
  9. cerberusiam Staff Member

Ahhh, the Information Age. Ain't it wonderful. Oo.

:-laf:-laf

cerberusiam , Jul 19, 2012
  10. BLoging

all so look on the side of the engine block ware the computer is there a stiker on the computer with all the info about the motor like s. n. and other information that cummin's put's on there!

BLoging , Jul 19, 2012
  11. blacksheepdiesel

The Engine Serial Number is stamped on the right side of the the engine near the oil filter pad if I remember correctly.

Godspeed,
    Trent

blacksheepdiesel , Jul 19, 2012
  12. Shadrach

Thanks Mike That is new. Shad

Shadrach , Jul 20, 2012
  13. NAnhel

Thanks everybody for your help. I have found what I need. That quick serve site is a wonderful thing.

NAnhel , Jul 21, 2012