Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afc question

Afc question

I adjusted the star wheel yesterday one full revolution towards the engine to increase fueling. I dabbed the wheel with a paint marker to show a point of reference. Didn't notice much power increase so while turning the wheel another revolution today I noticed that the wheel moved on me towards the front of the truck and more out if sight. The spring that is to the right of the star wheel is loose and moves around. Is the star wheel supposed to be more visible under the plug opening? Mine is all the way to the left and I can barely get a screw driver on it. I'm thinking its all the way loose. Thoughts and wisdom appreciated. I tried looking in the buyers guide for info on this but no luck and in the forums.
    Andy

Black 96 SLT Laramie 2500 LWB 4x4 auto with 240k. KDP tabbed
    MODS so far:
    TST kit #6, Isspro EGT gauge, Fuel shut off solenoid deleted-PTO cable, TPS deleted-potentiometer

hmmm. . . . who installed the fuel plate?
    96 sc/sw 4x4 4.5" skyjacker lift nitto trails,teflon wheels,4.10 gears with posi,nv5600,turbo,injectors,exhaust manifold,cold air intake,fuel plate,5" exhaust,southbend dual disc.
    03 qc/sb/sw,nv5600,6"lift,nitto trails,II turbo and injectors,smarty,5"exhaust. southbend single disc,airdog 150

Quote Originally Posted by LNaugle View Post
    hmmm. . . . who installed the fuel plate?
    Pevious owner did. Also forgot to mention it appears the the afc is moved more towards the back of the engine. I'll do,some more searching.
    Andy

MODS so far:
    TST kit #6, Isspro EGT gauge, Fuel shut off solenoid deleted-PTO cable, TPS deleted-potentiometer

The star wheel adjust pre boost fueling. Sliding the housing back reduces fueling. Put the star wheel back into the window then start moving the housing forward
    94 2500 4x4 5 spd Carli performance 2.0 with full leafs
    2005 2500 Quad 4x4 48re,Carli dominator 3.0 plus long travel air bags, Baja proven and enough power to make it work

What does moving the housing do?
    Andy

MODS so far:

one full revolution is a ton. ten clicks at a time should be noticeable. the AFC controls fueling in relation to boost. moving it forward lets in more fuel with less air so it can build boost quicker. if two revolutions felt like nothing the housing is probably all the way back. dude that put it in probably didnt mark stock location, and the housing has very fine adjustments like 1/16 of an inch. try picking a fixed point and measuring the current location, then move it all the way forward take another measurement, split the difference and set it there. put the wheel back to its original position. with two full revolutions it the truck will send up clouds from every stop. on mine ten clicks was noticeable, 25 was fun, but i lost about a mile per gallon so i set it back.

Quote Originally Posted by KBurgoyne View Post
    one full revolution is a ton. ten clicks at a time should be noticeable. the AFC controls fueling in relation to boost. moving it forward lets in more fuel with less air so it can build boost quicker. if two revolutions felt like nothing the housing is probably all the way back. dude that put it in probably didnt mark stock location, and the housing has very fine adjustments like 1/16 of an inch. try picking a fixed point and measuring the current location, then move it all the way forward take another measurement, split the difference and set it there. put the wheel back to its original position. with two full revolutions it the truck will send up clouds from every stop. on mine ten clicks was noticeable, 25 was fun, but i lost about a mile per gallon so i set it back.
    Okay thanks for the info KBurgoyne!. I'll try that.
    Andy

MODS so far:

When I put all my springs and plate in, I set everything more or less stock. It towed my trailer just fine, never got stupid hot on EGTs - only hit 900 degrees a couple of times and there was hardly ever any smoke at all.

After I got home I decided I'd play with it a bit, and I just slammed everything as far forward as possible. It was a noticeable increase in power, and if I get on the throttle at low boost levels it'll lay a decent amount of smoke, but if I don't drive like a jackass it doesn't smoke hardly at all.

Since I was pretty happy with the results, I didn't bother playing with it after the initial adjustment. Picking up a mpg or two would be nice, though. I've been averaging about 15, which with my heavy foot doesn't seem all that horrible.

Well today looked at the afc housing some more and discovered my original post was I correct. I took one of the 8mm bolts out and I know now that the housing is all the way foward to the front of the engine. And I still can't get the star wheel to move for me. Feels like its jammed from when I turned it 2 revolutions toward the engine. The large spring is loose in there. And the star wheel is showing only half of itself in the window. Tried looking in the factory service manual for info on the afc but no luck. I'm to the point where I will have to take off the whole afc housing and see why I can't adjust the star wheel. Also scratching my head as to why the truck won't even smoke at all with the housing all the way foward. Something is just not right with the star wheel.
    Andy

MODS so far:

Ok. . . . step back and stop obsessing over the star wheel. First test your fuel pressure. If it is good pull the housing off and put the star wheel back on its shaft. the # 8 plate is a relatively mild profile. The star wheel is only for pre boost fueling it will not add HP under boost
    2005 2500 Quad 4x4 48re,Carli dominator 3.0 plus long travel air bags, Baja proven and enough power to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
    Ok. . . . step back and stop obsessing over the star wheel. First test your fuel pressure. If it is good pull the housing off and put the star wheel back on its shaft. the # 8 plate is a relatively mild profile. The star wheel is only for pre boost fueling it will not add HP under boost
    Okay I thought about the fuel pressure possibly being low. It seems though I have adequate power. I'll have to get a gauge and check it. Thanks
    Andy

MODS so far:

BTW I prefer Power over smoke

this sounds like a prefilter clog.

yeah i'm thinking something is restricting fuel flow; lift pump, something in the tank or lines. Fuel filter was changed 5k miles ago. I'm currently working on building my own fuel gauge tester with parts from mcmaster carr. Then I'll test the pump and make sure that's okay and the overflow valve.
    Andy

MODS so far:

Yanga8 Do you know where the Prefilter is? and when was it last cleaned. This could be you restrection.
    "95" 2500 flame red/silver C/C, 5 spd DeeZee running boards, #5tst, pinnacle performance exhaust ( jerry jardine) 4" all the way, pacbrake, chrome kit, primeloc remote fuel filter, custom designed mounting platform, grill/fender brush guard. pin is done, DPS three piece manifold, Colibert Free ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast