Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N Air filter

K&N Air filter

Did I read correctly in the last Turbo Diesel Magazine, that if I install an after marked air filter like a K&N that it could void the warranty? I thought I read that if you install one that the dealership could argue that I messed it up if something goes wrong in the engine? That seems absurd to me. What are your thoughts?
    2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab, Cummins, Reese 5th wheel slider hitch. 4:10 rear.

Back in 2004, I was at the service department at our local dodge dealership and they towed in a 2004 dodge one ton, and was telling the owner that his K&N filter was probably the reason his truck wouldn't start, and said if it is, they would not fix under warranty, of course i told them they were full of it too, but that is what they said about the warranty with the K&N BTW, i have ran a K&N since day one
    2007 3500,4X4, MEGA CAB, 5.9,
    DMF gone G-56, 373, jake brake
    JESUS Is the ONLY way for salvation, DO YOU KNOW HIM??

Don't waste your money on a K&N filter. A piece of window screen will filter just as well and will cost less.

Out here in west Texas where cotton farming is very common along with low annual rainfall, dust is always in the air. A K&N filter is guaranteed to ruin an engine.

A friend of mine who was a mechanic in the nearby Dodge dealership told me several times it was common to have fairly new low mileage Dodges with Cummins engines come in complaining of excessive oil consumption and blue smoke. He said he and the other diesel tech pulled the truck into their workbay, opened the hood, removed the air box cover, and always found a pos K&N filter. He said they reported it to the service manager and the customer was called and told he would need a replacement engine on his dime. His engine warranty was void.

There is no reason to replace the high performance paper filter that Cummins engineers spent good money developing and testing with a worthless K&N. The OEM filter filters better, runs at least as well, won't set codes, and will not trash your engine or void your warranty.

The K&N and other aftermarket filters do nothing for performance in an unmolested or mildly modified engine.
    Harvey Barlow

2008 Ram 3500 SLT QC & Chassis w/ CM bed
    2007 HitchHiker Discover America 32 LKTG
    2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

I read all the time on TDR that K&N filters are no good and will void your warranty. I also hear that at my Dodge dealership and at Cummins SW. I don't believe you can get a better filter than an OEM filter.

Now you know, buy OEM.
    2005 Dodge 3500 DRW, 4x4, 325/610 HO, 6 speed NV5600, Laramie H, Quad Cab, 3.73 gears, Flame Red, Luverne SS Running Boards w/Box Boards, Luverne SS Push Bar/Grill Guard, BrakeSmart, PacBrake
    2008 Arctic Fox 5th Wheel, 27-5L
    SOLD 95 CTD, DRW, 4x4 and 98 11' 3" Lance Truck Camper

Quote Originally Posted by bob257 View Post
    Did I read correctly in the last Turbo Diesel Magazine, that if I install an after marked air filter like a K&N that it could void the warranty? I thought I read that if you install one that the dealership could argue that I messed it up if something goes wrong in the engine? That seems absurd to me. What are your thoughts?

Hi,

Please review this link:

http://www.getdieselpower.com/my04do...r_Testing.html

Your explanation is in section: "TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST"
    1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad 4X4
    Fleetguard Enviroguard Kit
    FRRP-100 @ Idle 18 psi
    ScanGauge 2
    DSS Steering Stabilizer
    DSS New Solid Track Arm Kit
    Sport Headlight Upgrade
    XPEL 30mil film on Fog Lights
    Leer Shell

And the winner is: K&N. The K&N window screen style filter allowed more dirt to pass through than all other filters.

"TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "Post Filter" during the test.

FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED
    AC Delco 0. 4 g
    Baldwin 1. 1g
    AFE Pro Guard 7 1. 8g
    Mystery Bargain 2. 4g
    Amsoil 2. 7g
    WIX/Napa 4. 4g
    Purolator 5. 0g
    K&N 6. 0g
    UNI 7. 9g
    Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal. "
    Harvey Barlow

2008 Ram 3500 SLT QC & Chassis w/ CM bed
    2007 HitchHiker Discover America 32 LKTG
    2010 Goldwing XM/Nav

I would like to see the test results of the Hastings filter. I have used these for years in equipment.
    Interestingly enough, I changed the transmission fluid in our Grand Cherokee and the Dodge pickup this fall. Both the OEM and Hastings transmission filters had the same stamp from the company who made them for Chrysler. The Hastings was only missing the Chrysler part number.
    2009 - 2500 Dodge CTD, QC, SLT, 4x4, 3.73 gears. all stock
    1994 - Airstream Excella Classic 31' travel trailer
    1990 - Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Sunday Driver
    1986 - Jeep J20 - gone but not forgotten
    2002 - Jeep Grand Cherokee - daily driver for the wife

I have been using the same K&N in my '97 since I got it, about 400,000 miles, no problems. And I spend a lot of time in dusty conditions. I serviced about it every 50k or so, and make sure the seal is greased well. Myself, I like the idea of an oiled filter in dusty conditions. I change engine oil every 7500 miles,it always looks normal, and it uses maybe half a qt between changes. No reason to change now I guess, but I will be ordering a 2014 sometime soon, and will investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    And the winner is: K&N. The K&N window screen style filter allowed more dirt to pass through than all other filters.

"TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "Post Filter" during the test.

FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED
    AC Delco 0. 4 g
    Baldwin 1. 1g
    AFE Pro Guard 7 1. 8g
    Mystery Bargain 2. 4g
    Amsoil 2. 7g
    WIX/Napa 4. 4g
    Purolator 5. 0g
    K&N 6. 0g
    UNI 7. 9g
    Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal. "
    No Fleetguard?
    '07 2500 regcab 4wd,5.9,SLT,G-56,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7.

Harvey some people can not grasp what they read. I keep a new K&N filter in my shop for a dodge. when someone ask me about them I take it out of the box and hold it up to the sun and let them look at the sieve. it is a little better at keeping out gravel than the window screen. cummins has been warning of oiled filters especially the K&N for over two decades now. why would anyone spend tens of thousands of dollars on a truck and then put a K&N on it that takes 7 miles off of the engine life for every mile you drive it. how did I get the 7 miles?. from cummins test data, do the math on the tdr test and I think it will still be valid, and the cummins test was in the 1980's
    0635004x4duallyqcg56,dynatrac,,bd exhaust brake,m101181 donaldson muffler,cfm+ intake,winspeed delete,taylor wings,luberfiner bypass filter,smarty jr psm cold air,cool hose,tag,air tab's,reese 20k 5th wheel,pdr cam,ddp 50 hp injectors,62-65-13-ss,ss manifold+blankets,2 micron cat filter,hid and led

Here is my blackstone oil sheet for my truck since it was new. K & N's work just fine for me, it has had one or an AFE since about day 100. . . . . silicone levels are well below the average.

Sam

Name:  oil test #2.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  61.3 KB
    2014 Laramie white crew SRW 3500 4x4 LB Aisin tan/brown interior buckets Nav no keys B&W TOB & companion

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 91', before diesel was cool......Owned and gone 1991 2500 and 2001.5 2500qc

Other rides...56' VW oval....10' Honda Element SC

08' Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Ram4Sam your results are not normal, and simple searching will show the destruction they cause. I am not sure why you have good luck, but your showing people atypical results, and hopefully it doesn't lead to them ignorantly purchasing one of the worst filters on the market.

Well He also lives in Redland's not that much dust or dirt if he lived in the Desert I'de tell him he's Crazy but that's up to Him if he want's to run a Junk air filter . You can lead a Horse to water but I'll be Darn'd if you can make it drink .
    running since Feb 2013 1985 dodge crewcab longbed 4x4 cummin's conversion
    R I P Speedy the bug 5-17-2010, sold 2008 2500 n 2011 3500
    new as of 5-11-2012 a 2012 jetta sport wagen TDI Wifes Ride
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel replaced the Crashed Durango

Quote Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
    Ram4Sam your results are not normal, and simple searching will show the destruction they cause. I am not sure why you have good luck, but your showing people atypical results, and hopefully it doesn't lead to them ignorantly purchasing one of the worst filters on the market.

Real world testing versus controlled lab testing. . . . . . .

Sam
    2014 Laramie white crew SRW 3500 4x4 LB Aisin tan/brown interior buckets Nav no keys B&W TOB & companion

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 91', before diesel was cool......Owned and gone 1991 2500 and 2001.5 2500qc

08' Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Quote Originally Posted by Simplysmn View Post
    Well He also lives in Redland's not that much dust or dirt if he lived in the Desert I'de tell him he's Crazy but that's up to Him if he want's to run a Junk air filter . You can lead a Horse to water but I'll be Darn'd if you can make it drink .

Actually, I am up in your neighborhood several times a year wandering the desert at the off road races. . . . . and a few days at Quartzite every year. . . . .

Sam

08' Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast