Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_2000 View Post
    So, essentially I could idle my truck for 8 hours (I know, not recommended) and it wouldn't derate the engine or shut it down?
    Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how this whole system works. So far, I've been afraid to idle the engine longer than just a trip inside a gas station or a stop at sonic. Don't want to plug up the DPF and cause expensive problems.
    Craig
    If the engine is running, the DPF is building soot. Plain n simple. As long as you allow the regens to happen, you'll be fine. There's a couple of ways the management system can measure the soot level. There's a sensor that can measure the differential of pressure pre and post DPF. By looking at the pre DPF pressure and post DPF pressure, they can calculate the soot level, along with run time and completed regens.
    Regarding clean idle, with the class 8 vocational trucks I deal with, if they are left in PTO, they will idle till the sun goes down. Depending on configuration, a regen may or not happen. You have to learn what you're driving, and how to manipulate it. My guys do the opposite and know how to prevent it so soot build and run time cause a stage 4 condition (automatic regen not possible) where they must bring the truck to someone like me to get the laptop and force a regeneration.
    I must say that of the few systems I see, the 6. 7 Cummins ('08 and '10 SCR) that are in our Jhonston sweepers are all Cummins systems (probably similar to the RAM) and are the most flawless running with the least problems.
    '04.5 3500 SRW short Quad SLT CTD 6spd. DynoMax cat back, Spyntec hub conversion.
    '14 Durango R/T, Black Crystal. Yeah- it's got a HEMI!
    '98 Durango 5.2 SLT
    '71 Plymouth Duster 340 Strip/ Street terror. The car I drove to High School.

<<<MOPAR SPOKEN HERE>>>

Quote Originally Posted by BIGNASTY View Post
    Last time I was in a Calif Truck stop there are some pretty old trucks that idle a lot longer than 5 min!! im sure that someone is going around looking at that with the Calif economy such as it is!!!!

Just another money scam more than likely!!!! they scam it from your pocket to theirs
    Last time I was in the TA truck stop in Ontario Calif. , the CHP were giving tickets for just that.
    2014 CTD 68rfe 3:42 2500 Reg Cab white Tradesman W/SE Service bed
    07 6.7 CTD G56 3:73 3500 DRW C&C 4X4 white SLT,QC, South Bend SMF & DDS 3250
    04.5 CTD NV5600 3:73 2500 4X4 silver SLT,QC,LB. Sold to brother
    2005 33.5v Arctic Fox
    2011 Ultra limited (FLHTK) Harley Davidson

Really? that's the one I was in on the East side I do know that they are looking at Scales to make sure that the reefer trucks have their ARB stickers posted. I talk to some of the Drives that come in and haul the FIL/Son's beef to Reno and Las Vegas NV about it and they said the same that Calif is making themselves a state that nobody wants to truck in. When the drop the Beef off they run to the Central and Imperial Valleys of Calif to bring back Veggies.
    04.5 FS2500 ,Air bags ,mag hitec pan and cover,Air aide,pre luber,Espar heater,extreme air compressor,Rhino liner,DTT48RE

"A horse will kill you by accident; a mule will kill you on purpose. Mules are smarter than horses."

They looked heartless as they were writing them tickets, there were three pairs of CHP's walking the truck line looking for those awful polluters. Trucking in California only gets more expensive which we pay for in the end.

Hey Big, you got any room up there in Montana?
    2005 33.5v Arctic Fox

Well Hell ya!!!! when ya come up Ill give you directions to the house and make sure ya drive in at night and park your truck in the shop and close the doors. SO NONE OF THE TOWN'S FOLK CAN SEE THEM CALIF PLATES
    04.5 FS2500 ,Air bags ,mag hitec pan and cover,Air aide,pre luber,Espar heater,extreme air compressor,Rhino liner,DTT48RE

"A horse will kill you by accident; a mule will kill you on purpose. Mules are smarter than horses."

I'm going to cruise the town with a neon lighted California lic. plate with a sign that says "Big invited me here"
    2005 33.5v Arctic Fox

Almost forgot, we are also required to put the sticker on. The customer / end user is not allowed to even have the replacement sticker in their hands. Same goes for replacement engine serial number and EPA stickers, we have to put them on.

Mike,

Are you able to order a replacement sticker by VIN only? I was under the impression that the truck engine would have to recertified before a sticker could be obtained.

Matt
    2001 reg cab 4x4, 6 spd, edge juice w/ attitude, silverline exhaust, K&N intake, BD steering stabilizer
    1993 reg cab 4x2, 5 spd, 60hp injectors, Omaha utility bed

Quote Originally Posted by mweiman View Post
    Mike,

Are you able to order a replacement sticker by VIN only? I was under the impression that the truck engine would have to recertified before a sticker could be obtained.

Matt

Matt,

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question so if this is not the answer you want please let me know.

The Clean Idle stickers are based on the engine serial number, but I also have to include the truck's vin with the request for a replacement sticker. We as a dealer could not certify an engine for Clean Idle if not built as such, but are allowed to order replacement stickers for trucks that were certified when built.

We often order replacement door vin tags as well, those tend to fade after 500,000 miles or so. One of our best customers for that are the rental fleets that sell off the trucks when they are done leasing them. They freshen up the vin tag for the potential buyer. It only costs 75. 00 or so to get one.

We also have many requests for new engine labels if the customer plans on going into Kommiefornia, apparently you can get quite a spanking from the CHP if one of the labels on the valve cover has fallen victim to a pressure washer and is no longer legible. I believe the sticker that causes problems shows the EPA information. I think this is on pre-Clean Idle units.

Mike.
    2006 2500 4x4 Mega Cab SLT Auto 3.73's
    Inferno Red 122,000 Miles Jake Brake, Edge w/Attitude, MagnaFlow 5" Exhaust
    1997 2500 4x4 Reg Cab Auto
    2002 Chrysler T&C
    2008 Chrysler T&C
    2004 Cougar 290RKS 5th Wheel (I know, I know)
    2003 VW Jetta TDI (Gizmo)
    2006 Cadillac DTS Lux I (Hoopty)

Quote Originally Posted by RVTRKN View Post
    I'm going to cruise the town with a neon lighted California lic. plate with a sign that says "Big invited me here"
    Do that and you might get your truck shot out from under ya, and get me strung up

Right now the town population has exploded we are usually around 2k but during the vacation time its up to 5k easy. Went out last night to close up the drive gate and some ya hoo wanted to drive in and got all up in my face about closing the ROAD!!!! its not a road its my Driveway, well that's one HELL of a driveway buddy!!!! I thanked them and put the lock on the chain.

Don't look like no road to ME!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Big you are my hero, mules, long driveway, few if any neighbors!
    Wygate
    2012 Mega Cab, bed liner on the rockers, door sills, under cab and of course the Bed

Quote Originally Posted by Wygate View Post
    Big you are my hero, mules, long driveway, few if any neighbors!
    No Hero here! just got tired of living in Suburbia all my life, Wife and I have had this plan for a LONG LONG time. Love the long driveway myself until I have to snow plow that sucker a few times a day on a hard snow, my neighbors are GREAT!!!! Wife's Mom and Dad on one side and Wife's Brother on the other, 1million + acres of National Forest on the back side, Across the Hwy is Wife's Sister and husband. Cant see any of their homes from ours.

Just one hitch to this FOR MOST PEOPLE is that you REALLY have to love the one that YOUR AROUND 24/7 or be able to find a way to get away for a spell, that I will do in a week or so and I haven't been doing it very much cause of family obligations. NOW ITS MY TURN

Actually going to go out to the fitness center, we use to have a 24 hour fitness club membership, here we have just a little different type of exercise! got to clear some trails so Nephew can get in and out easy with clients. Fishing!!!! if you can imagine that people actually pay to go fishing
    Last edited by BIGNASTY; 06-16-2013 at 04:20 PM.

And if snow plowing aint enough in winter mowing the yard is a ton of fun in the summer

Great pictures BIG. I spent a week in Montana fishing back around 1990. It was up in the wilderness out of Lincoln (if I remember correctly). A good friend of mine, his Dad was a guide up there at that time, took a few of us in, packed all our stuff in with Mules. I remember crossing the Continental Divide on the hike into where we stayed for the week. Absolutlely loved it there. You are fortunate to be able to live there .

Rich
    2009 3500 6.7 DRW QC 4x4, 6 Speed Auto, Laramie , Rancho 9000XL's, Timbrens, Overload Spring Bump Stop Spacers, Torklift Superhitch and Camper tiedowns, ExtremeAir Air Compressor, '04 Arctic Fox 990 Truck Camper; 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0, 5 speed; 2011 Suzuki DR650 DualSport

USMC 1981-1985

Quote Originally Posted by rwitt View Post
    Great pictures BIG. I spent a week in Montana fishing back around 1990. It was up in the wilderness out of Lincoln (if I remember correctly). A good friend of mine, his Dad was a guide up there at that time, took a few of us in, packed all our stuff in with Mules. I remember crossing the Continental Divide on the hike into where we stayed for the week. Absolutlely loved it there. You are fortunate to be able to live there .

Rich

Rich

I make jokes about fishing but don't mean any harm when we lived in So Calif I use to pay to go out on the fishing boats in the ocean and enjoyed the hell out of the fish. Its just that trout is just a tad to mushy for me and don't like all the bones. Mules are my 4x4 up here where we go a person couldn't get to with any type of auto/truck and that's the way I like it. Lincoln is a little south of us on Hwy 200. Long ago we looked at property near Lincoln it was something like 175 acres. When we went to look at it I noticed little barns out by the Hwy next to a dirt road. I asked the realtor about it she said that is where people keep their auto's and snowmobiles. I thought that was a little weird why not by the house that is not going to be built ON THE ROAD with a 175 acres?? she said the snow is pretty deep here and they park the auto in the barn after pulling out the snowmobile to take into the house. I was all for it but the wife thought that would be a little TO FAR OUT. Her Brother offered up 35 acres to us and we snagged it up, We are pretty far off the road and you can hear a truck every so often but its pretty quiet, We are indeed fortunate thanks to the Wife and her Father its home to us, Plus the wife's family lives next door.

The Clean Idle stickers simply are part of medium and heavy duty on highway regs. . Any of the newer trucks must meet a specific set of emissions requirements or have a 5 minute idle/shutdown system. The sticker identifies that vehicle as being able to meet the requirements and is ok to idle longer than 5 minutes. Or thats the way I understand it.
    FWIW, our 2011-2012 model F550 Fords have the Clean Air Certified stickers and they do tons of idling. My 11 model has about 85K miles on it but has almost 5000 hours of run time! After idling on location all day, when I pull out onto the highway and get going, the "cleaning exhaust system" message pops up, but we have never had any issues with the emissions system on any of them.
    2014 Ram 3500, Laramie 4x4 CC Dually, Aisin, Western Brown, B&W
    06 Ram 2500 TRX-4: Mag Hytec Differential covers, Westach gauges, Mopar A-Pillar mount, B&W Turnover Hitch, Infinity Speakers, BD Steering Stabilizer Brace, Silverline Exhaust System! HeaterTreater HVAC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast