1. HSpiering

How do you hook up on a small car with front wheel drive if you need to pull it out of the ditch or snow bank? We had one in deep snow bank with wheels off the ground. Had a truck in fount and one in rear but no place to tie a rope. Spent half hour digging. Now on TV a saw a tow truck put a strap around the rear wheel of a car an pull. We thought of that but I was afraid We would pull the wheel off. SO if there is nothing to hook on to what to do??:confused:

HSpiering , Feb 8, 2014
  2. HGreen

On a number of small import cars, like Subaru, BMW, and I'm sure others have a small like 1.5 inch square plug in the front and rear bumpers that once removed, an eye bolt screws into for towing out when stuck. I have not noticed this on all small cars, but its worth looking for it.

HGreen , Feb 8, 2014
  3. JR

Volkswagon has the same attachment points HGreen mentioned. The tow hook is generally located with the jack and tire iron.
    If your car doesn't have that or any traditional tow hooks, they make several different specialty hooks for recovery. J hooks, T hooks, R hooks to name the main ones. They are designed to hook into various holes or grab structural corners under a vehicle. A tow truck driver will have an arsonal of different recovery straps and bridals. There arent many safe spots to hook to a unibody vehicle and a ton of bad ones. The biggest thing to remember is never jerk on a car, even with a recovery strap you can still do some serious damage. if it isn't your car and your not sure, it's best just to help the driver contact a tow truck and let them handle it.

4. mwilson TDR MEMBER

mwilson , Feb 8, 2014
  5. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Ditto above my little Honda has one front and rear and the eye hook is with the jack handle in a little bag with the jack. Must admit it doesn't look that strong or beefy but then I guess the car only weighs 3k max

BarryG , Feb 8, 2014
  6. JR

12014727745362088108236.jpeg #ad

This is what I was referring to by J,T, and R hooks. I have a few of these for tying down vehicles to my trailer. I have used them a few times to pull people out, but given the safe WLL they are designed more for load securing than recovery situations. They are a grade 70, I believe most recovery devices are 100. As long as you are not shock loading them, which is NOT a good idea on a unibody car, they should be just fine. I've also got a few 15" J hooks that work very well.

12014727745362088108236.jpeg #ad

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. BIGNASTY

You would not believe how many times Mikes video has happened in town, the local body shop guy comes over to the SIL's cafe and watches for more work to happen and come his way while having coffee.

BIGNASTY , Feb 8, 2014
  8. Bob4x4

The j hooks have provided me some work,thanks brake lines and half shafts don't pay half bad

Bob4x4 , Feb 8, 2014
  9. JR

Hmmm, isn't that what those big hooks are for?? :-laf:-laf

10. Dave Zuber TDR MEMBER

I usually just hand the end of the chain to the car owner and say "hook it to something good".

One owner had to hold his breath and dive under his truck in March river water.

Dave Zuber , Mar 3, 2014
  11. moparguy

I'm with Dave, when possible always let the other driver hook his car, if he does something silly make suggestions but don't hook if you can avoid it.

moparguy , Mar 3, 2014
  12. marcusjms006

Get a shovel and dig, then put something other than snow under the wheels and drive.

marcusjms006 , Apr 25, 2016