1. ILIANBG TDR MEMBER

I just saw it at Autozone. It's a Synblend Delo XLE, SAE 10w-30. On the back it said that it made improvement in fuel economy compared to the Delo LE 15w-40.
    Is this a new oil that replaces the common Delo 15w-40 (CJ-4)? There were none of the Delo 15w-40 on the shelf except the Synthetic 5w-40, so that's why I strarted thinking maybe it replaces the LE (CJ-4). I don't think we are supposed to use a 10w-30 oil in 2 Gen. trucks.
    Can anyone give a little light, please. Thank you.
    Ilian

ILIANBG , Oct 1, 2014
  2. Simplysmn TDR MEMBER

Check Walmart and see what they have on shelf ?

Simplysmn , Oct 2, 2014
  3. BDaugherty

In your climate I would stick with 15W40. Try another store.

BDaugherty , Oct 4, 2014
  4. JR

Many newer engines are making the switch to lighter and lighter viscosity oils to improve fuel mileage. Synthetic 30w may or may not have the capabilities of protecting older diesel engines in hot weather, but I don't care to be a guinea pig. I would stick to a 40w.

5. mwilson TDR MEMBER

One of my tasks when I return Monday is to get the info to convert or add 10W/30 to the bulk oil dispensing systems at our locations that have service bays. Detroit Diesel is insistent that it be used in all GHG2014 engines and I am told that older diesels will benefit as well. I will be researching that to death believe me.

mwilson , Oct 4, 2014
  6. JR

I'm sure an engine will run on it with no short term ill effects. Probably ok for people in cold to moderate climates but I wonder about it's capabilities in an older engine spec'd for 15w40 in 100* heat pulling a long 7% grade at or near max gcwr? How much increase in fuel mileage are we talking? 1 or 2%? Or more? I really don't know, it would be interesting to see some hard data in the form of UOA's.

What I would like to see are UOA over a period of say 250k miles or more. There are a few guys over on BITOG with one or two UOA on CR 5.9 engines and they appear to be OK, but these are short intervals of around 6-7k miles, and not nearly enough data to form a comfortable opinion. In the end I'm just not sure that there are enough reason to make the switch in an older engine, but thats just opinion.

Would be interested to see what you come up with Mike.

7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I hate to add any more bulk tanks so the Rotella will have to go. We use way more Mobil Delvac 15/40 than the Shell. I am leery of trying to use the 10W/30 in older stuff. It has been suggested that 5W/30 is even better... I'm too old school for that unless I see some serious proof....

mwilson , Oct 4, 2014
  8. ILIANBG TDR MEMBER

Thank you guys. It always is a good idea to ask first. I will stay with the 15w-40, as always. I have been using the Rotella, or Delo. Is Mobil Delvac just as good? I can't remember the details of the last comparison I read in the magazine.
    Ilian

ILIANBG , Oct 8, 2014
  9. zmos

Just to clarify for the new dudes. According to Robert Patton in TDR issue 80 about what factory fill oil, "The factory fill for the consumer 2500/3500 pick ups is now the 5w40 Premium Blue Synthetic oil", at least starting in 2013 Engines.

zmos , Oct 9, 2014
  10. Boczech1

I have read in other forums where they are using 5w30 and 10w30 with good results on UOA. Some of these users live in the SouthWest with 100 plus degree summers.

Boczech1 , Feb 14, 2015
  11. SAndreasen

Tractor manufactures use to spec straight 30 weight engine oil they work hard and dirt all the time

SAndreasen , Mar 3, 2015
  12. jacknife

I ran the 5 40 all summer towing 14000 lb 5 th wheel no problem. That is what the factory puts in it. I owned 6 CLASS8 trucks that I bought new thew all came with Delo Oil. I never had an oil related engine problem. You can spend more money for Amzoil but you will not get any better protection in my 3,000,000 miles of trucking.

jacknife , Mar 9, 2016
  13. OldRetiredAFGuy

If I remember correctly, the earlier TDR oil discussions recommended that if you use CJ-4 oil in a pre 2007 engine, you need to reduce the change interval by almost half.
    I have used Lucas 15-40 Magnum High TBN CI-4 oil for years with excellent results.

Lucas PN is 10076 for a gallon jug, 10075 for quarts. Any parts store chain with a decent warehouse should be able to order it for you.

OldRetiredAFGuy , Aug 28, 2016