1. HSpiering

I know a post like this was put out in 2002 but not many answers to the problem. Maybe someone has something new.

Just got back from hunting. Put 200 miles on in some very rough country. Didn’t mind the creek beds and dust. I made a mistake of going about ½ mile on a trail in some sage brush. That ½ mile cost me some paint damage. The white streaks don’t come out very well with a polish I have (turtle wax polishing compound). Any ideas on making my Inferno Red look better? This stuff may be better for enamel paint and not the new acrylics.

HSpiering , Oct 12, 2014
  2. DavidC

Are the scratches deep enough to catch your finger nail ?. If that is the case there is not much hope. If not your going to need a DA or orbital buffer and compound. The compounds being something like Megs 105 and/or 205. 105 being the faster cutting and 205 for finishing or light scratches. A rotary and wool pad is preferred for heavy correction and some can finish with a rotary with out swirl marks left over, you need to be very careful with a rotary as inexperienced users can burn the paint during the process. A DA is safer but slower and you will need foam pads for correcting. I get 99% of my supplies from autogeek.net when they are having 15% off and free shipping over $150.00. Some use the rotary and finish with a DA. Harbor Freight has a good price on a DA but the backing plate they supply sucks and you will need to get it and foam pads from autogeek or somewhere else. If and when the scratches are cleaned up use a paint sealant such as Zaino, Duragloss etc. as a sealant will last longer than wax and does not leave the white behind.

Dave

DavidC , Oct 12, 2014
  3. HSpiering

DavidC

No I can’t feel them with my finger nail. Almost need to get the angle just right and then they look pretty bad. Look straight on and you hardly notice then from a couple feet back. I’m thinking I will need to use a buffer. I would like to just hand rub so I can go slower and not screw thing up.

HSpiering , Oct 12, 2014
  4. DavidC

megs 205 may work the best, you can check Walmart for Megs ultimate compound. The Harbor freight DA would probably work best as it is variable speed and will not cost a fortune. They also carry some foam pads and unless you plan on becoming a detailer it may be all you need. Doing it by hand will probably take a very long time and the DA will give better results. The backing plate that came with my DA was warped, maybe they are better now.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-variable-speed-dual-action-polisher-69924.html

Dave

DavidC , Oct 12, 2014
  5. HSpiering

Dave
    I did a Google on 205 and saw a video on using it. Make it look easy. My son is racing in Calif. today. He is always rebuilding and painting body parts. I’ll see if he has a buffer. Thanks for the info.

HSpiering , Oct 12, 2014
  6. DavidC

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine

Dave

DavidC , Oct 12, 2014
  7. BK TDR MEMBER

I had the same thing from in and out of one off road area.. , branches reached out and pinstriped certain areas on the sides of my truck.
    I was able to basically buff out the "white line" appearance, but they were deep, and you could still feel them.
    The clear coat gets cut and ragged, and shows up as a white line... no longer "clear".
    You'll be able to buff them out, but if you can feel them now... don't try and buff them to the point to where you can't feel them.... you'll take off too much.
    The detailers I've spoke to, fill them with color and buff them out even to the surface. Seems to be a nack / trick / touch to is.. I tried it once.. and that was the end of of that.

A white vehicle hides soo many sins, cause of the clear coat.