Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAnsel

1998 12 valve diesel 2500 ram 2500 starts @ dies immediatly, checked fuses to see any blown also exchanged cannister fuses no help. has after market alarm system im checking out tomorrow. appreciate any advice or comment. thxs dansel ( 400k + miles )

DAnsel , Dec 18, 2014
  2. RWherley TDR MEMBER

check the run/shut down solid on your fuel pumps, hold the lever back in the run position and start the truck if it stays running there's your answer

RWherley , Dec 19, 2014
  3. MLee TDR MEMBER

Think what he is saying is, clean/service the fuel Solenoid. They get contaminated with rust, if the boot is missing. this effects the pull up and hold magnetization of the cylinder, so the engine will run. The boot is available through Geno's garage or Fosters truck. Or do a search for other alternatives.
    And it might be that the relay is going away. Start with the easy thing first.

MLee , Dec 19, 2014
  4. sfritts TDR MEMBER

Does your truck key have a key with the electronic entry on it? I had one with the chip in the key go bad. if you have a second key with the remote entry on it. try that key see if you get the same issue.

sfritts , Dec 19, 2014
  5. mwilson TDR MEMBER

mwilson , Dec 19, 2014
  6. Woodenhead

Mine did this. As mentioned above, it was the shutoff solenoid. My understanding is there are two coils in the solenoid. One pull it closed when you start the truck. The other holds it closed while it's running, this coil is likely fried. I had to replace my solenoid.

Woodenhead , Dec 20, 2014
  7. DAnsel

the fuel solenoid dust cover boot was deteriorated @ interfered with the spring on the pull up @ hold magnetization not letting it energize all the way. (replaced boot alls well) i want to thank everyone for the quick replys @ thxs to MLEE for pointing me in the right direction. dansel

DAnsel , Dec 20, 2014
  8. MLee TDR MEMBER

Just trying to help keep the 12's on the road. your welcome.

MLee , Dec 20, 2014
  9. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Thanks for posting your results. Many times we never hear how it turns out.

Mike.

mwilson , Dec 20, 2014
  10. crabman

^^^^^
    Ditto!

crabman , Dec 20, 2014
  11. Missouri Mule

Mine did this in Nov., started down the street and it died. Tried to restart it would run for a second or two and die. It was early in the morning so I pushed Mule to side of the road and went back to bed. Got up at 8 am went to look at it. Realized it was my fault. I had not been keeping up routine up keep the boot had come off the solenoid many years ago and I hadn't sprayed the spring and rod down with wd40 for some time. Grabbed a can of wd40 sprayed it down, Mule started and stayed running. I should of been spraying it down at least once a year.

Missouri Mule , Jan 1, 2015