1. Crazy Horse

Sold my 02 2500, seller's remorse still felt. But this last year of ownership I only drove it 900 miles. So I'm Cumminsless, and Dodgeless since they don't make Dodges any more. I've been busy breathing life back into my two 79 CJ-5's. The Green on is almost done. All I need to do in the next 30 or so days is install a specially made Dana 60/70 in the rear with Disc Brake Conversion, 4.56's front and rear with Yukon Lockers, and a T-18 (6.32 1st gear) four speed Trans, AGR SB-2 PS gearbox and High flow AGR power steering pump and it's Done! 1,700 miles on the odo and all will be new. Gonna cut a trail in on the property that goes down into a drainage ravine and up a pretty 150' climb up to my shooting range to see exactly what this thing will do when done, plus there are 4 wheeler trails all over this property. I'm afraid I don't have much in common here anymore other than reading the travel section of the magazine. I thoroughly enjoyed that article on the Million Dollar Hywy. and the Black Canyon in the last mag, it was well written by Jeanette Vallier was one of the best write ups I've seen in the TDR Mag. in a long time. Thinking about making the trip out there to see it and how it compares to "Road Going To The Sun" up to Logan Pass in NW Montana. My parting shots from Jeep Land. email -- email address removed --

7L Green.jpg #ad

79 CJ-5 (2).jpg #ad

Slider Steps.jpg #ad

FEF.jpg #ad

FEF R.jpg #ad

79 CJ-5.jpg #ad

Interior.jpg #ad

7L Green.jpg #ad

79 CJ-5 (2).jpg #ad

Slider Steps.jpg #ad

FEF.jpg #ad

FEF R.jpg #ad

79 CJ-5.jpg #ad

Interior.jpg #ad

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
    Crazy Horse , Jul 28, 2015
  2. TFucili

That's a nice build. All business and no fluff.

TFucili , Jul 28, 2015
  3. crispyboy

AMC Power Plant!!
    Those are some good looking Jeeps in your awesome garage.
    One of the best things I did to my Grand Wagoneer and J20 was to put in the aluminum cross flow radiators. That cured any hint of high engine temperatures.

crispyboy , Jul 29, 2015
  4. Crazy Horse

304 w/ Edelbrock package in the green, and a built AMC 360 in the black. Thanks for the complements.

Crazy Horse , Jul 30, 2015
  5. OffroaderMe

the new owner of your Jeep was lucky. it looks awesome. great work on the build. by the way, any feedback on the Baja tires? I've seen a few people using Mickey Thompson on their Jeep.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    OffroaderMe , Sep 8, 2015
  6. frank1

Great looking Jeeps and shop! Crazy horse I've been thinking about retiring my 92' and transplanting the Cummins engine, automatic transmission and any other compents into a CJ. What are your thoughts? With all the salt they apply here during the winter months the frame and most of the metal is being "eaten alive"!Frank

frank1 , Sep 8, 2015
  7. Crazy Horse

Since September we have made a few very desirable upgrades to fulfill my need for an Off Roader.
    Dec 11th 35s Right.jpg #ad
    ** [/EURL]#ad
    ** T-18A Skid Plate&Mount 1400.jpg #ad

Complete redo on the underside running gear. Since this is my #1 All new, now 2,000 miles on it. It was very good like new CJ-5, but it's a little closer to what I wanted in my build.

Had a Dana 60 high pinion with 35 spline axles built for the rear end with Disc Brake Conversion so it's not hanging out a foot on both sides. Replaced the open housing and the stock 2,73 diff gears with Yukon's 4.56's sets front and rear with Yukon Grizzly Lockers front and rear. Finally found a Good Borg Warner T-18A that was in a 79 CJ-5 with the 6.32 to 1 gear reduction, and 7.44 in reverse. It crawls now! Took some finagling to get it to work (Custom Trans Mount/Skid Plate. Originally the 4 speed T-18A only came for a stort time on CJ's with a 258 cid in line six as an option. Did a reverse shackle and front spring reversal and that really tamed the insecure steering characteristics since I'm using the Pro-Comp 4" springs and Pro-Comps 35x12.50x15. Put in a DUI high output Distributor, Edelbrock "Air Gap" 4 barrel intake manifold with a Quadra jet 4 Barrel Carb. Removed the stock exhaust and put on a set of Ceramic Coated Headman Elite Fender well Exit headers with the 4"-5" Thrush side pipes. Hasd to get those PITA duals out of between the frame rails, way too much heat build up, melting Emergency Brake Cables. Now throttle response, power, and sound are SWEET. Also put on an AGR Super Box 2 with a high output ps pump.

Carb & Intake 400.jpg #ad

Totally Satisfied with brand new 1979 CJ-5 one off! Short List>> Items waiting for my shingles to go away since it is in my left hand badly. Got a new soft top, Warn 8274 winch (work around shackle Reversal kit), and a Warrior Hood Louver Panel and I'm Done!!!!

Dana 60 & 35's 2.jpg #ad

Dec 11th 35s Right.jpg #ad

Carb & Intake 400.jpg #ad

Headers 1400.jpg #ad

T-18A Skid Plate&Mount 1400.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Crazy Horse , Jan 6, 2016
  8. Grizzly

WOW! I'm impressed with your clean, well organized big shop.

george

Grizzly , Jan 7, 2016
  9. BILLUA

Please keep posting! Awesome build and thanks for sharing.

BILLUA , Jan 7, 2016
  10. OffroaderMe

great progress since the last time i check this build. keep up the good work, pal!

OffroaderMe , Jan 21, 2016
  11. mpaulson

Nice! Your helping fuel my desire for a jeep with a Cummins in it, thinking a 3.9L though for size and less weight but a 12V 5.9 would be easier to get my hands on. Would need to upgrade to Dana 60 axles as well like you did to handle the weight and torque.

mpaulson , Jan 22, 2016
  12. Crazy Horse

I'd love a 24 valve 5.9 but there's not enough length to the CJ-5 for the running gear. I did do the upgrade the rear however to a 35 spline High Pinion Dana 60 with 4.56 gears and Yukon Grizzly Lockers front and rear. Just got my old Warn 8274 winch on. Took a little metal work but it will climb a tree now. Had to make metal spacing plates between the winch plate bracket and the frame. We go from 4th into 3rd for corners now with the steeper gearing and the T-18A 4 speed Transmission. And there's hardly any driveline angle now at the rear w/ that HP 60 and the 2' long driveshaft. Spacer Plates and Modified Brackets.jpg #ad
    Shackle Reversal Winch Mod  Bolts.jpg #ad
    8274 on.jpg #ad
    Corrected Driveline angle With High Pinion Dana 60.jpg #ad
    Retro Radio.jpg #ad

Spacer Plates and Modified Brackets.jpg #ad

Shackle Reversal Winch Mod  Bolts.jpg #ad

8274 on.jpg #ad

Corrected Driveline angle With High Pinion Dana 60.jpg #ad

Retro Radio.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Crazy Horse , Feb 4, 2016
  13. Crazy Horse

Frank, I'm sorry it's been so long on the reply. I don't think there is going to be enough room for the length of the 5.9 in a CJ body. I'm into primarily 76-79 CJ-5's and I know without significant firewall and core support modifications to say the least. Maybe these newer "Jeeps" have more room under the hood I know there have been allot of Cummins 4BT conversions done successfully. Lots of info at jeepforums.com. Mine is officially done now and with cooler weather comin in we'll start putting some miles on it. Just added a Louver Panel to the hood, 100 amp Power Master Alternator, and a high torque starter motor. Got the Tuffy Center Console in it and mounted the old Midland CB Radio in it w/ 50 watt booster if needed.

Frt End.jpg #ad
    Side Done.jpg #ad
    304 V-8.jpg #ad
    Side Done Hood Louvers.jpg #ad
    Front End.jpg #ad

Frt End.jpg #ad

Side Done.jpg #ad

304 V-8.jpg #ad

Side Done Hood Louvers.jpg #ad

Front End.jpg #ad

Crazy Horse , Sep 28, 2016
  14. Crazy Horse

Here is a video clip I made driving on my Trails in our woods on our property. The trails are pretty narrow, had to pull the mirror in. Some of the sound is off because I moved the mic under the body. We won't do that again. You can watch in HD by hitting the button on the right lower corner of the player.
    https://youtu.be/GhrAPKCl5M4

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Crazy Horse , Sep 28, 2016
  15. Killer223

the bar none best thing i EVER did to my CJ7 was YJ spring over. it's amazing how smooth it rode after that...

Killer223 , Sep 28, 2016
  16. Wayne M.

Thanks for sharing, Crazy Horse!
    Good to see you've stuck around- how many acres do you have?

Wayne M. , Sep 29, 2016
  17. frank1

Thanks for getting back to me Crazy Horse. Yea, I was told the same thing about the 5.9 not fitting into a Jeep. I may just find a decent Jeep and resore it with it's stock engine and go from there.My first Jeep was a 63' Willy's, I actaully got my farmers driving permit in it ! Great little Jeepmy parents loved it because you could barely go over 45 m.p.h.!Great video! Good to hear your doing well.
    Frank

frank1 , Sep 29, 2016
  18. Crazy Horse

Wayne, we have 24 acres here. Seems like allot more though because it's all up and down, not flat. The house sits on one ridge, and we have 2 other ridges on the property with 2 cricks.

That's funny on the barely over 45. I took mine out yesterday for the 1st time on I-85. Even with the 304 in it, with the T-18A HD 4 Speed and the 4.56's mines pulling 3,000 rpm at 70 mph with the 35" tires on it, getting tight. Next time I will have my hearing protectors on. Sounds sweet though.

Crazy Horse , Oct 1, 2016
  19. Crazy Horse

A list of the majority of things I've put into this to personalize it for me. I named it "Crazy Horse" due to my CB handle since the early 70's.

This basically is a brand new 79. I have currently built it to my liking and a "1 off" and has a lightly warmed over 304, Borg Warner T-18A 4 Speed w/ 6.32 to 1 granny first gear, 7.44 in reverse. Quadrajet 4 Barrel Carb, Eldelbrock Airgap Intake Manifold, DUI distributor and "Live Wire" plug wire set, Powermaster High Torque Starter Motor & 100 Amp Alternator, Headman Elite Ceramic Coated Fenderwell exit Headers through 5" Thrush side pipes. The gearing front and rear are 4.56's with Yukon Grizzly Lockers front and rear as well & Warn Locking Hubs. I installed Pro-Comp's 4" Spring Lift Kit w/ 4" drop Pitman Arm and did Rancho's Shackle Reversal Kit on the front end which totally eliminated all "Death Wobble" and wandering while driving. It's a pleasure to drive now. Installed AGR's #2 Super Power Steering Gear Box with their high output PS pump. The rear Axle housing is a Custom Build High Pinion Dana 60 (1 Ton), 35 spline cut down for proper width fit under the CJ-5 body. The Trans/TC mounting plate skid Plate had to be custom made out of 5/16" Steel and actually is tucked up a little bit higher than a stock configuration. Also added the rear Disc Brake Conversion to the Dana 60. Custom built the rear HD Driveshaft with a high angle CV Joint, though not really needed now with the High Pinion Dana 60. I took the chrome bumpers off when I first got this one and added the Warn swingout rear Bumper Assembly and a Pro-Comp front "Crawler" bumper. Used 2 Gallons of Raptor Spray on Bedliner to the inside of the tub, roll bar, and the Warrior Rock Sliders. And finally is the install my old Midland 40 channel CB Radio, 50 watt Power-booster in the Tuffy Lockable Center Seat with 7' Firestick mounted to a HD side "ball" mount on the LR upper 1/4 panel and a Poison Spider Louvered Hood panel assembly, and a Best Top "Tiger Top".

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Crazy Horse , Oct 1, 2016
  20. Wayne M.

Very nice. You're a great inspiration! Getting primed and ready for a big move to central PA, and just trying to look at what I want and need. That sure is nice!

Wayne M. , Oct 2, 2016