Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLee TDR MEMBER

Just wondering, Has anyone found a Exhaust brake for the EcoDiesel yet? Or is it geared and managed to the point that one is not needed? There is questions on another site that is inquiring about this.

MLee , Nov 18, 2015
  2. DonFitzwater

I don't think there are any available. Sag2 has posted his results of towing a small camper with his.

DonFitzwater , Nov 19, 2015
  3. NIsaacs TDR MEMBER

I would think any of the remote mounts would work. I have no clue how the engine/transmission would respond to one or if warrantee would be an issue.

Nick

NIsaacs , Nov 19, 2015
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You'll get hundreds of codes if you do so, don't touch the exhaust systems on these Trucks.

Ozymandias , Nov 19, 2015
  5. Bill Stockard

IIRC, sag2 owns and tows his Lance light weight travel trailer with a Hemi...

Bill

Bill Stockard , Nov 19, 2015
  6. RustyJC

Unless the torque converter lockup clutch is commanded to stay locked on deceleration or under braking, an exhaust brake isn't going to do much of anything except heat up the transmission fluid due to fluid shear in the torque converter.

Rusty

RustyJC , Nov 19, 2015
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Correct, on real long grades my jeep heats the fluid until the overheat light goes on.
    All OEM.

Ozymandias , Nov 19, 2015
  8. DonFitzwater

DonFitzwater , Nov 19, 2015
  9. Bill Stockard

Bill Stockard , Nov 19, 2015
  10. TCDiesel

11. sag2 TDR MEMBER

The ED I towed with for a couple thousand miles was my company car. I do have a 14 Hemi now that I retired.
    Although my trailer is only 5,000 lbs, on some grades it could have used an exhaust brake. But for most towing in moderate terrain the engine braking was more than I anticipated. It does down shift more than a truck with an EB but it does a pretty nice job of retarding. I'm assuming the converter stays locked up, but since I never looked with the scan tool I can't say for sure. I would think an aftermarket brake could be added assuming the converter stays locked.

sag2 , Nov 20, 2015
  12. Bill Stockard

I too would own a Ram 1500 with a Hemi if I didn't own/use a large heavy slide in truck camper. Considering the miles I would normally drive without a RV, I could not justify the additional cost of an Eco-diesel and/or the additional maintenance costs.

Bill

Bill Stockard , Nov 20, 2015
  13. cerberusiam Staff Member

Does that TQFlite 8 act like the NAG1 on deceleration? Lift off the throttle completely and it locks the TC?

cerberusiam , Nov 20, 2015
  14. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I never drove it with wi-Tech hooked up but it must as the retarding was pretty good for no EB.

sag2 , Nov 21, 2015
  15. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

Normally with cruise control on and set at 55 mph, going down hill the speed picks up at about 64 mph, the 8 speed transmission starts down shifting from 8 to 7, 7, to 6 to bring speed back down to 55 mph I have watch this several times. After reaching 55 mph will hold for about one minute or so and shift up from 6th, to 7th, then back to 8th.

HPSimpson , Nov 24, 2015
  16. TDRGuy TDR MEMBER

Talked to long-time supporter of the TDR, Bruce Sebring at Pacbrake.
    Short answer: No
    Brief explanation: Unknown of how it would mess with the exhaust aftertreatment and the fact that the little VM engine has hydraulic lifters and the unknown effect the extra backpressure would have on the valvetrain. Two unknowns= NO.

RP

TDRGuy , Nov 24, 2015
  17. BD-Hector TDR Advertiser

BD-Hector , Nov 25, 2015
  18. schmeg

Im new to the forum, 17K on an ED with 7 K on a GDE tune. If you purchase this tune you can get the exhaust brake as a $50. option. It opens up the vanes on the turbo as long as these conditions are met:
    1. Foot off accelerator pedal
    2. 6th gear or lower
    3. 2700 RPM or higher.
    It works really well. Its pretty seamless. Last month I went through a couple of mountain passes in Colorado. I wasn't towing a lot of weight (3000lbs). Upon cresting Rabbit Ears Pass heading toward Steamboat Springs. I manually selected 6th. Then just let the truck do the work. I only had to touch the brakes once coming into a hairpin.

schmeg , Nov 27, 2015
  19. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Hopefully GDE made it smart enough to kick this out in case the ABS senses Wheel slip. Otherwise this would be dangerous as hell.

Ozymandias , Nov 28, 2015
  20. NIsaacs TDR MEMBER

Why would it be any different than a Cummins? Do the new trucks have this feature? None of my older trucks do. I have not had this be any issue.

Nick

NIsaacs , Nov 28, 2015