1. bdenson

looking to get a ar 15 what would be a good one ?

bdenson , Jan 18, 2016
  2. The patriot

Colt, BCM, Daniel defense, Lewis machine & tool.
    These are the top tier (mil spec) manufacturers.

Why are you buying?
    Just because? IMO get the best. Make no mistake, they will NOT be available forever.... Get something that will,last. Think family heirloom.
    Plinking? Cheaper will do.
    Target/competition? Get ready with your wallet.

The patriot , Jan 18, 2016
  3. Mikey-KE7LBB

FWIW... You can't go wrong with Bushmaster either!!

Mikey-KE7LBB , Jan 18, 2016
  4. bdenson

Just wanting one have lots of guns not a ar 15 yet I do want a good one

bdenson , Jan 18, 2016
  5. Simplysmn TDR MEMBER

Build your own . Get a 80 % lower and drill it out . Very simple to do and they turn out Great . You choose what part's you want to run .As long as your wise on part's you can build it on a budget.

Simplysmn , Jan 18, 2016
  6. Killgore

My youngest son who considers himself above average with a rifle, has several AR's and rates the Daniel's Defense with the Eotech optics the best of his assortment. Personally, I carried a M-16 for years, but remain old-school and don't consider a weapon to be the real deal unless it has a wooden stock. (I wouldn't admit it to him, but I wish I could justify the Daniel's). :-laf

- Ed

Killgore , Jan 19, 2016
  7. p-Bar

If your only building one not worth the going the 80% route unless you in Commiefornia where you don't need to register it. Just buy a Mil-Spec lower and start from there.

p-Bar , Jan 19, 2016
  8. Deleted member 995608

JD Machine in San Diego makes a nice stripped lower. I have two from them that fit great with just about every upper assembly you can throw at it. Oh and.....Geissele trigger all the way!

Deleted member 995608 , Jan 19, 2016
  9. mrbb

stag arms makes some nice out of box guns for a fair price
    BUT as others have stated
    WHY do you want one, and want it FOR< can make a difference on suggestions here
    plain jane NO names can be had CHEAP< sub 500 at times, and HIGH end over the top can be a few grand

Basic bushmaster's are always on sale here for about 550-650 in a m4 like set up
    things to look for on some models is, barrel type, rifling, if it has Forward assist or not, a threaded barrel or NOT
    as these things can matter as to WHY and what you plan the rifle for!
    I sold a few thousand of AR's when I had my shop, so??

mrbb , Jan 19, 2016
  10. bdenson

i will be target shooting and hog hunting in a ruff wet place need a good solid gun

bdenson , Jan 19, 2016
  11. mrbb

then I recommend a H bar type set up
    will get you a barrel to shoot more heavier bullets and be a little stiffer to be more accurate out of the box
    you can then also do away with a threaded barrel too, as it won't really need to be for hunting

I would also look for rifles without a carry handle, to keep a scope down lower as it should be

almost ALL AR companys make a target/hunting like set up
    wet places??
    if your BIG into harsh weather, again Stag Arms, offer's Ceracoating on there guns for a small added charge when ordering
    that will for sure help hold up to wetter conditions a LOT better than plain finishes on AR's

mrbb , Jan 19, 2016
  12. BIGNASTY

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    BIGNASTY , Jan 19, 2016
  13. ranger 393

Rock River, Colt, Bushmaster, S&W, Sig .
    I Have a Emtan (IMI Defense)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    ranger 393 , Jan 19, 2016
  14. RXT

Smith & Wesson M&P15. If you can live without a foward assist and dust cover, the M&P15 is a great value for the dollar. Likewise Mossberg, has an entry level AR that includes the dust cover and picatinny rail/grip in a similar price range as the S&W. (Which is below $1000)

Not all AR's are created equal. Technically, there are two identical types of ammo, the .223 and the 5.56. Both are identical, but the 5.56 is significantly more powerful. ARs marked for .223 can only shoot .223 ammo. Using the more powerful 5.56 in a .223 AR is asking for trouble. A 5.56 AR can use either ammo. Check the mark on the barrel if you're not sure.

I have the M&P15, along with a Nikon P223 scope, the rifle is every bit as accurate and as well built as any AR twice it's price.

Ed

15. The patriot

I'd go with something bigger than a 223.5.56. If you do go with the 223/5.56, get an 1/8 or 1/7 barrel, because you'll want/need heavy bullets to go for hogs.

I'd prefer a 300 blackout (think 30-30 power) or an 6.5 Grendel in a 16" barrel. Midlength gas system is preferred to the carbine. I prefer 1/8 with the Grendel, but 1/9 is OK too.

A carbine adjustable stock, I use the Tubb flatwire (I think it's called superior shooting systems...or something like that) recoil spring and an H2 buffer.

Or even one of the heavy thumpers like 458 socom or 450 bushmaster of youre shooting through heavy brush. It's like a guide gun but in semi auto.:D

The patriot , Jan 20, 2016
  16. ranger 393

ranger 393 , Jan 20, 2016
  17. BIGNASTY

:-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf

That's Rich :-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf

I have sent that vid to many people they are laughing just as hard when they call so we can laugh TOGETHER

BIGNASTY , Jan 21, 2016
  18. ranger 393

Did you notice the one that was limping on three legs? Maybe a prior battle wound..:-laf

ranger 393 , Jan 21, 2016
  19. BIGNASTY

YA I noticed it, I really liked the gather round before the shot to set it off. Big Chunks of Hog flying into the air. :-laf:-laf

I was at the dinner table, I couldn't help it but I started to laugh uncontrollably again :-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf

BEST DAMN THING IVE SEEN IN A WHILE :-laf :-laf:-laf:-laf:-laf

BIGNASTY , Jan 21, 2016
  20. bdenson

got a smith & wesson m&p ar15 orc today very happy with it thanks for the help

bdenson , Jan 22, 2016