Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwilson TDR MEMBER

After trying to get by with my OEM batteries in the '06 I threw in the towel Saturday and purchased a pair of CAT Group 65 batteries. Wow, what a difference.

Truck had gotten to the point of needing a boost if it sat longer than 2 days. Then as the temps dropped the problem intensified. I spent a half hour Saturday morning boosting on it with Hoopty. Was trying to get by until spring as the truck goes into storage next weekend, but got to adding up what I was risking by doing so. Hoopty's almost inaccessible alternator, the trucks alternator and related electronics were being put at risk so I said enough and bought them.

CAT skid steer's use the Group 65 battery and my local CAT distributor sells a pile of them so I got a set with a November 2015 build date. Very happy about that.

I just couldn't justify the expensive alternatives and feel that I made the right choice. Time will tell.

IMG_20151121_201332571.jpg #ad

IMG_20151121_201315434_HDR.jpg #ad

IMG_20151121_201332571.jpg #ad

IMG_20151121_201315434_HDR.jpg #ad

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  2. MLee TDR MEMBER

Best of both worlds. Cummins powered by CAT!!

MLee , Nov 23, 2015
  3. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

"Cummins lit off by CAT!"

SnoKing , Nov 23, 2015
  4. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I need to paint the raised "CAT" emblem yellow..........to complete the effect.....:D

mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  5. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Price tag?

TRAMPLINEMAN , Nov 23, 2015
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Need to check on that, not sure if my price on these is the same as others might get. Will get an answer for you shortly.

mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Part Number 2306368 (Group 65 as pictured) is on sale until the end of the month at ANY USA CAT distributor for $110.11 each.

December 1st they go back to $129.54 each.

mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  8. BILLUA

I ran those in my 3rd gen. I thought they were an excellent battery and had a great quality/price ratio.

BILLUA , Nov 23, 2015
  9. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Darn good price. I believe I paid $135 for the new Interstate group 65's I put in my 07 recently.

jgillott , Nov 23, 2015
  10. Wayne M.

Very nice. Anything from CAT is first line quality- no questions asked, and they have everything! Are they conventional, AGM, etc?

Wayne M. , Nov 23, 2015
  11. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Conventional battery.

Built by Deka / East Penn to CAT specs. You gotta' figure that there are heavy duty cell connectors and plates involved because of the pounding that construction equipment takes while operating.

If anyone doubts that then go sit on an excavator counterweight while it's operating sometime.....if you can even stay on there......:D

mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  12. NIsaacs

Nice batteries but their trucks are ugly:-laf

Nick

NIsaacs , Nov 23, 2015
  13. Shadrach

When I had my 03 I put in group 31 batteries. ( that's what semi's use ) They will take a lot of pounding and abuse. They are bigger over so I had to file out the edges of the case and on the pass side I had to lengthen the wires, but in my opinion well worth it. There were 1000 CCA so lots of power for the real cold that we get :)

David

Shadrach , Nov 23, 2015
  14. Bill Stockard

You would have to be strapped on to stay there!

Bill

Bill Stockard , Nov 23, 2015
  15. Wayne M.

OOOOOH YEA! besides they're not even a real CAT IIRC.

I usually stay away from Deka- never had good luck with their direct brand, but I would take a chance with this.

Wayne M. , Nov 23, 2015
  16. Wayne M.

No joke- we have skids in our aresenal, and one of the crazier AM's that's now retired did a very crazy thing. He was doing SOMETHING- I don't think we ever found out what he was trying to do, but he tried controlling it from one lever- from outside the window. Yup. I remember I was roustabout back then, and when I came back the next day, the telltale was the amazing tracks it left on the floor. Looked like NASCAR victory donuts. He's lucky to be alive. We all learned that they're not toys.

Wayne M. , Nov 23, 2015
  17. mwilson TDR MEMBER

My Freightliner Alliance branded batteries are Deka/ East Penn and we have had great results with them. Almost no warranty claims....

When we had Interstate branded batteries years ago we were constantly having issues....

(I would have ordered Alliance Brand group 65's but they don't offer the high CCA rating that the CAT version does so I know the Kitty battery has bigger guts and is brand specific...)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    mwilson , Nov 23, 2015
  18. Wayne M.

When I restored my Duster, Deka still made a round cap battery that looked retro, and a friend was a Deka jobber. It leaked :mad: on my fresh resto! Had another bad instance since then. I'm sure the Deka OE contract is first line stuff, especially the CAT deal. I'm not too fond of Interstate nowadays either. Knock wood my DH plats are 100%. I guess I got em before Odyssey tanked.

Wayne M. , Nov 23, 2015
  19. TFucili

I'll be sure and tell Deka George you are still supporting his pension, Mike:-laf

TFucili , Nov 23, 2015
  20. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Mike;
    They look good but only paint the CAT letters yellow, leave the triangle black.

Jim

P.S. keep buying the CAT parts; this supports my retirement funds.

Jim W , Nov 23, 2015